My first gun for C&C - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > My first gun for C&C

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

nothing against glock, I just don't want one. Call it arrogance, call it ignorance, call it biased, I call it preference.

my list is simply guns that I have felt and really liked the way they felt. Definitely could see myself carrying one of them.

pattern I have noticed as of late, owners of glocks can(or will) only praise glocks. They don't recommend other guns as highly. Something my dad told me about any major dealer of firearms I come across, they each say their brand/model/type is the best. I have heard of glock's impressive traits as durable and extremely functional. I just have trouble believing their nigh on flawless reputation. Is it just me or are they worth all the hype?

Old 12-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #32

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratusthewise View Post
nothing against glock, I just don't want one. Call it arrogance, call it ignorance, call it biased, I call it preference.

my list is simply guns that I have felt and really liked the way they felt. Definitely could see myself carrying one of them.

pattern I have noticed as of late, owners of glocks can(or will) only praise glocks. They don't recommend other guns as highly. Something my dad told me about any major dealer of firearms I come across, they each say their brand/model/type is the best. I have heard of glock's impressive traits as durable and extremely functional. I just have trouble believing their nigh on flawless reputation. Is it just me or are they worth all the hype?
In order to make an informed opinion for you're self I can only suggest what I had to do.Go find a friend who owns one or two and try them out.It was the only way I was going to find out if they were for me or not.Turned out to not be what was right for me.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #33

Likes Given: 27

Quote:

While I carry a G27 and really like my Glocks, my XD40 is actually a much better, more natrual fit to my hand than my Glocks. It's taken me about a year and a half to where I'm now shooting as accuratly as with my XD's. I carry the Glock because it's just a lil' slimmer and feels lighter to me. Plus, magazines are a bit cheaper and easier to find for the Glock.

That being said, I've picked up and fired Sig's and been a LOT more accurate w/those firing the first time than I was after six months with my XD's! It amazed the heck out of me just how natural they all felt in my hand, and caliber didn't seem to matter - I fired 9mm, ,40 and .45 and all of them were nice, tight groups at 21'.

As SigArmored suggests, go shoot as many different types of handguns as you can before making a purchase, as well as do research on the various aspects of what's out there. If you don't have many friends who are shooters, see if you can find a range w/in a relatively short driving distance that rents pistols. Take a notebook and write down what you like and/or don't like about the various pistols you shoot. Just because a pistol "feels good" in your hand at the gun counter doesn't mean it's going to be a natural point-shoot for you, or that you'll like how it feels after putting a few rounds downrange.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #34

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:

In my experience after owning and shooting dozens of guns. I have NEVER had a Glock FTF or issue. I have had every other gun clog, fail, break etc at some point regardless of brand including Hk, Sig, etc... For my real world experience they are the most reliable. I'm not saying they are the most accurate or "best" guns. They just work every time, and fo rme that is the main factor when choosing a SD weapon.

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 12-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #35

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:

They're worth all the hype. This from a person who owns one (well its my Lil brothers, but Ive had it for years), but prefers the rest. I prefer my others because I cannot and will not support the carrying of a gun without a manual safety. I hate that Glocks don't have safeties, but I love everything else about them. They're like 1911s in that they're cookie cutter Legos and run for ages thru anything.

They deserve the hype.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:07 AM   #36

Glock 27 good choice.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #37

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:

Go on-line. You will find youtube tests of Glocks reputation of firing under all conditions. They do not fire under all conditions. They have many miss fires under dirt and especially water conditions.
There is hype to this myth.
But, in general they work well. But you must buy into a short pull trigger - without a real safety. Dangerous in many people's view. In fact... how could a gun be designed to be more dangerous than to not have a real safety and have the trigger pull be fairly light and short? What else could you want to support a disastrous accident? It's just my opinion. But I cannot think of a better way to have a shooting accident with a chambered semi-auto than to have it without a real safety with a short light trigger... Again ... my opinion.

My opinion - have a firmly locking safety... or, better yet, have a long trigger pull - so that a light short trigger doesn't get accidentally pulled.

There are other fine guns out there. Are you looking for high capacity (more than 7 shots capacity) or is size important because you seriously intend to try to carry this gun concealed?
High capacity guns are fat- wide - don't hide as will as slim models.

Smith's newer M&P line makes some very nice slim carry oriented guns. And compact versions of the same ones - or high capacity versions that are more difficult to conceal - because they are fatter (wider) to carry the large capacity magazines - 15 round.

Ruger does the same. Their LC9 is an excellent slim 9mm 7 round easily concealable. They make larger capacity guns and compact versions of those same guns. No one will seriously argue with you about Ruger quality and reliability.
Both those line of guns have excellent possibilities - in your price range.

And there are more... but these are two excellent lines of high performance guns.

Last edited by Colby; 12-05-2012 at 08:17 AM.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #38

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

The Ruger SR9c is one excellent firearm. Reliable, accurate and large round capacity yet very concealable.

I also believe for a first gun something like a Walther PPK .32 acp or maybe a Bersa Thunder .380 is an excellent gun to start with. Both are reliable and accurate.