My first gun for C&C - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > My first gun for C&C

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

You have the money to buy a good gun so I recommend being picky and finding something that feels good to hold and is a quality gun. It doesn't have to cost the whole $600 but it should be reliable and accurate as well as good for CCW.

Look at the Bersa guns and also you might want to check out the Makarov which IMO is much better than SCCY and it is not real expensive.

You have to look online, read reviews and try and hold or shoot some of them.

Don't pull the trigger on buying a gun till you really look well. Because once you buy one you might be sorry.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #22

alas, my trip to the not-as-local gun store brought some regret. Too few 9mm's and too many .45's. they did have a CZ P01(someone mentioned);didn't think too highly of it due to the exposed hammer and higher price tag than I am willing to invest.

for those interested, my list is cut down to(local prices):
1)Ruger SR9 - $429
2)Ruger SR9C - ^(damn close)
3)Bersa Thunder Pro UC - $399
4) Kahr K9 - $669
5)Sccy CPX-1 - $299

all in the 9x19 class. the Kahr is above my acceptable price range, but it is nearly solid stainless and that is extremely pleasing. Unfortunately, most of these I am unable to shoot; that would definitely cut the list down.

I'll get my license just after the new year. Would like to be firm in my decision before then and maybe have something to carry when it arrives.

Thanks for the contributions, keep the suggestions coming!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:29 AM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratusthewise
alas, my trip to the not-as-local gun store brought some regret. Too few 9mm's and too many .45's. they did have a CZ P01(someone mentioned);didn't think too highly of it due to the exposed hammer and higher price tag than I am willing to invest.

for those interested, my list is cut down to(local prices):
1)Ruger SR9 - $429
2)Ruger SR9C - ^(damn close)
3)Bersa Thunder Pro UC - $399
4) Kahr K9 - $669
5)Sccy CPX-1 - $299

all in the 9x19 class. the Kahr is above my acceptable price range, but it is nearly solid stainless and that is extremely pleasing. Unfortunately, most of these I am unable to shoot; that would definitely cut the list down.

I'll get my license just after the new year. Would like to be firm in my decision before then and maybe have something to carry when it arrives.

Thanks for the contributions, keep the suggestions coming!
I have a smith and wesson m&p and love it man its one of the most accurate guns I've shot ands its easy to clean. I found mine for bout 550 buts its a .40cal. I also have a cz sp01 phantom and that thing just fits my hand like a glove.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:08 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Glock 19

Should be able to find one for $540. Concealable. High capacity. Proven durability and reliability.

You won't regret it.

Previously owned
Beretta M9
Springfield XD9
S&W M&P Shield
Ruger SR9
Sig P226

Previous because none of them shoot like a Glock.

In my opinion.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You're cutting yourself so very short with that list.
Straight away, I'll tell you SCCY doesn't make a bad firearm. They're pretty reliable and feature-packed for the money. But with a $600 budget, go crazy.

I'll always recommend the EAA Witness Carry. 9mm is an availability. Only problem is, you probably won't find one locally unless you're lucky.

The P226 is another good option, and as others have mentioned, there are various compact Glocks chambered in 9mm within your price range.

This might be the very rare occasion where I say that if all you have locally is what you listed, you may be better off doing research and making a purchase online. I don't know if I've ever said that before.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreis View Post
You're cutting yourself so very short with that list.
Straight away, I'll tell you SCCY doesn't make a bad firearm. They're pretty reliable and feature-packed for the money. But with a $600 budget, go crazy.

I'll always recommend the EAA Witness Carry. 9mm is an availability. Only problem is, you probably won't find one locally unless you're lucky.

The P226 is another good option, and as others have mentioned, there are various compact Glocks chambered in 9mm within your price range.

This might be the very rare occasion where I say that if all you have locally is what you listed, you may be better off doing research and making a purchase online. I don't know if I've ever said that before.
I like that "go crazy" bit. I do like EAA witness carry, but it has an exposed hammer. Truthfully, that isn't a huge problem, just something I would like to shy away from where possible.

Unfortunately, my purchase will likely be online. Local gun stores are a bit beefy with the price tags and the NIB/used factor is unknown for the most part.

S&W M&P is nice, but didn't feel as good as others.

Squawk, do you always carry a full size handgun?

Should be a "big" gun show this next weekend and I will be attending.

Old 11-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #27

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Exposed hammer should be no problem. I have 2 carry guns with exposed hammer. If you practice drawing you will see the hammer is not a problem.
I know you want a 9mm but do take a look at the Bersa Thunder .380 and also the Walther PPK .32 both are well made for CCW and for a first carry gun they are excellent.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #28

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

There are plenty of carry options and going to the gunshow is the best place to get a handhold on all you're options.I really think you are limiting you're self to you're options and you should have a more open mind as to functionality.However the best suggestion that was ever giving to me was,"Pick one up hell pick them all up when you're done the one that was the most comfortable and pointed the most natural in you're hand is the one you should take home".

Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM   #29

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Glock 26 in 9mm.
My 1st carry gun and love it to this day. Perfect negotiation for size, capacity, safety, dependability, felt recoil, and accuracy.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #30

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Ruger LC9 is another good option. That's what I carry