My first gun for C&C - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > My first gun for C&C

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Ruger SR9C
Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 9mm

My top two. The thunder is better priced option.

If I had to do it all over again, these are the two I'd look at. Bersa being number 1. These two have superior trigger actions and both are high quality makers with high ratings.

Read up some on the SCCY, it seems as spotty a reputation as jimenez. While I love my SNS guns, I don't recommend them for personal protection.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 11-24-2012 at 01:54 AM.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

For under $600 you can find some very nice guns, why would you want to go with a SCCY?

Look at Ruger, S&W, Bersa and any other manufacturers. Don't be hasty, try and shoot any you can. Also look at reviews on different guns online. There are some VERY nice guns for under $600

Old 11-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
For under $600 you can find some very nice guns, why would you want to go with a SCCY?

Look at Ruger, S&W, Bersa and any other manufacturers. Don't be hasty, try and shoot any you can. Also look at reviews on different guns online. There are some VERY nice guns for under $600
I have to agree and 2nd this. If your budget is $600 then I would suggest looking at some other pistols than an SCCY. You can get a better gun for that $$$. Try a Springfield XDM/XDS, Glock 19 or 36, S&W Shield, Ruger just to name a few. There are allot of great choices for $600 that you need to check out and try and shoot if they are available at a range near you. Especially if you plan to CC as a defense pistol. You defintely want to go with the best possible you can shoot good and afford if you plan on protecting yourself and your family. Good luck!!

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

I prefer to CC a full frame pistol, double stack, striker fired,at least 4" barrel(that's what I have the most experience with) .

I only had half those $$$$ to work with so I bought a S&W sigma SW9VE 9mm 16+1 for $280.

It had a very hard trigger pull. I did a 5 minute trigger modifacation I read about. Now this gun is sweet.
It has a 3-4lbs trigger, feels better in my hand than other more expensive guns( I wish the grip was a little longer), I can hit a milk jug at 25 yards.... you can't really ask for more. Ohh and it breaks down in 5 seconds.... literally

If I had $600
I would buy the sw9ve or .40 $280
4 mags $100
IWB & OWB holsters $50-$100
Double & single mag pouch $30
the rest on ammo

Old 11-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #15

I don't understand this universal disapproval of Sccy. I've held and tinkered with one and it felt good. It's also small enough to be easily concealed on my person.
why wouldn't I go with a Sccy?

and yes, other guns are creeping up my list. Ruger sr9 felt great and now i'm interested in finding the sr9c to compare. I would carry a full size pistol if I felt that it would promote benefits other than greater accuracy at mid-short range.

I can hit a milk jug at 25 yards too :P
practiced with watermelons

I believe that you shouldn't shoot a gun unless you mean it so a heavy trigger pull is more to my liking.

Come monday, I'm venturing out farther into neighboring cities and checking out other gun shops. Hopefully I will get to hold a Bersa thunder pro 9mm.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 AM   #16

they are a bit expensive, but anyone have yay's/nay's for Kahr 9mm?
(specifically, Kahr K9)

Old 11-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #17

I'd give Kahr a resounding "yea". I recently added a CW 40 to my CCW collection to replace my H&K USPc 40 when I need something slimmer, and my wife will soon be carrying a CM-9.
While I do prefer the SADA on the H&K so I can carry decocked. The DAO on the Kahr functions well (double taps not so much though) with its long trigger pull. It (mine) has a pronounced yet smooth trigger-break that I like.

I did pick up one of the PM-9's while at the store, and like the CM-9 I found it "too small for me", and haven't checked out any of their other offerings.

They all seem to be well made purpose driven machines, and are priced below what they could sell for IMHO.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual..."

--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The Ruger SR9c as suggested above is an excellent subcompact for cc. The Ruger SR40c is about the same size for those who love the 40SW round. Both can be had NIB for around $400.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Cz p01. Done and done. Nothing beats it.

Accuracy, reliability, durability, low bore axes, fast,ergonomic, sexy, NATO approved, and proven design. What else do you need?

Czech or nothing!!

Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #20

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratusthewise
I don't understand this universal disapproval of Sccy. I've held and tinkered with one and it felt good. It's also small enough to be easily concealed on my person.
why wouldn't I go with a Sccy?

and yes, other guns are creeping up my list. Ruger sr9 felt great and now i'm interested in finding the sr9c to compare. I would carry a full size pistol if I felt that it would promote benefits other than greater accuracy at mid-short range.

I can hit a milk jug at 25 yards too :P
practiced with watermelons

I believe that you shouldn't shoot a gun unless you mean it so a heavy trigger pull is more to my liking.

Come monday, I'm venturing out farther into neighboring cities and checking out other gun shops. Hopefully I will get to hold a Bersa thunder pro 9mm.
SCCY was founded from ex Kel Tech employes, unless I'm mistaken. Maybe that could be the reason behind other people's hesitancy to buy one?