My First Gun
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

My First Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default My First Gun

Greetings, everyone. Have not posted here in awhile but believe me I have spent many hours drooling over all of your pretty guns -- and now I finally have one of my own!2012-03-23_12-12-06_786.jpg
(Sorry for awkward angle, don't take many cell phone pics)

Although I was (and still am) pining for a 1911, I want to hone my marksmanship skills and don't really have the means to do that with the .45 ACP cartridge Depending on how things pan out in the next few months at the range, I plan on purchasing a Browning Hi Power and/or Colt Goverment Model next (noticing a trend yet?)

I haven't taken her to the range, yet. It's still sitting in the box with the grease. The main reason for this is that (gasp) I have never cleaned or disassembled a firearm. I have shot 15 or so, but they were either range rentals or friends' guns. I am not what you would call 'mechanically savvy', but once I do something a couple of times it's usually fine. Having said that, I have searched around a bit and keep coming across different answers. According to the instruction manual, the Buck Mark does not need to be taken apart (at least for this initial cleaning). Since I have zero experience here, I don't want to mess anything up before I've even shot the thing. Seems to me that I can just lock the slide back, get in there with some oil, a toothbrush, some q tips and solvent (maybe a Bore Snake?) and be good to go. Is there anyone out there who has/had a Buck Mark and can chime in here? Any input is greatly appreciated, and I look forward to being an active member here.

Cheers!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 406 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you can't hurt a gun by cleaning it. I reccomend if you are comfortable enough search YouTube for videos watch a couple they should be doing pretty much the same thing. find the one that works best for you and do what they do or go to where you bought it and ask them for help. if they're anykind of decent they'll be more than happy to show you how to field strip and clean it

Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman3 View Post
you can't hurt a gun by cleaning it. I reccomend if you are comfortable enough search YouTube for videos watch a couple they should be doing pretty much the same thing. find the one that works best for you and do what they do or go to where you bought it and ask them for help. if they're anykind of decent they'll be more than happy to show you how to field strip and clean it

Thanks for the response. I figured as much, just didn't want to be that guy who uses too much oil or does something to throw off the accuracy so I figured it's better safe than sorry. (Maybe I'm believing too much of what I read on youtube comments )

Old 03-27-2012, 05:45 AM   #4

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by criticalplinking

Thanks for the response. I figured as much, just didn't want to be that guy who uses too much oil or does something to throw off the accuracy so I figured it's better safe than sorry. (Maybe I'm believing too much of what I read on youtube comments )
Hey when ever you deside your ready for a 1911 checkout gunbuyingclub.com. You can buy guns wholesale. I just got a $1300 colt for $900, and thats factory new in the box.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #5

Nice looking gun. I would suggest searching web for pictures and videos for your needs. It's never failed me yet. Especially with guns with no manuals for filed stripping and cleaning. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8761 Times on 5235 Posts
Likes Given: 11622

Nice gun.......good choice. Watch some videos on Youtube on how to take apart and reassemble your gun. That helped me a lot with my .22. People here are always willing to talk you through it, too.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:31 AM   #7

Thank you everyone for your input. I shook off some of the noob-ness yesterday, cleaned it up and took it to the range. There were some minor hickups at first but after a couple mags it was running great. Me and a buddy shot a good 250-300 rounds of Super X through it with no problems. It started having problems after about 50 rounds of Federal but I'm thinking it was just dirty. Can't wait to shoot it some more!

Newest Threads