Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Moving to florida (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/moving-florida-57779/)

andyss420 02-15-2012 02:22 PM

Moving to florida

I'm moving from mass to Florida, my ? Is does Florida have towns like mass that won't issue ltc. I already have a ltc in mass and thinking about liquidating my mass compliant guns and getting new ones that can have the collapsible stocks and the new glocks gen 3 or 4 I'm undecided. Also does Florida make you wait the waiting period before you pick up a firearm after purchase. Mass has one but unless your name is John smith like 3 million other people you walk out the store with in 2 min of purchase. Thx for any info

Car54 02-15-2012 02:33 PM

If you have a concealed permit in Mass, it's not honored here. However, you might be able to use it to prove you've had the training. Getting permits here is a breeze, you can set up an appointment in select cities, and get them the same day if you wish.

The waiting applies to those without carry permits, then there is a 3 day wait. Otherwise, the dealer does the mandatory check and you are out the door with it.

Face to face handgun sales can be done without any paperwork and/or FFL involvement, as long as both are residents, and the buyer is lawfully able to possess a firearm. I always do a bill of sale when I buy or sell for peace of mind.

We are a bit more lax here in regards to firearms. Welcome to the sunshine.

Sniper03 02-15-2012 02:39 PM

Good move compared to where you live now!
Florida the last I knew had a 3 day waiting period on pistols and revolvers only and none on rifles and shotguns.
Also as far as concealed carry it is a "Shall State" which means unless you have been involved in any of their listed activities that would prevent you from acquiring a personal concealed carry permit, they SHALL Issue you one as a resident of Florida!
A person in Florida must be 18 to own a weapon and must be 16 accompanied by an adult to hunt with one. Some of the members from Florida may have some additions to the above but was the last rules and laws that I was aware of since I travel in Florida quite a bit. However I do not think your Massachusetts concealed carry falls under the listing for reciprocity states in Florida. You may want to check that out?
Florida is generally a good state when it comes to firearms and will be a breath of fresh air for you I am sure! Google: Out of state weapon carry in Florida and it will pull up the State's Reciprocity page.

Car54 02-15-2012 03:36 PM

Caught my error about recip. Sniper, thanks for watching my backside.

utf59 02-15-2012 06:09 PM

Good info above. I would also add that Florida has a state preemption law. That means that a community can't enact their own firearms ordinances, though the same isn't true for knives.

What part of Florida are you moving to? Maybe one of us can direct you to some good ranges.

DX1 02-16-2012 12:26 AM

I live half the year in MA and half in FL, and have concealed carry permits in both states. In FL, unlike MA, all licensing is done by the state and getting the permit is pretty hassle-free. You do have to show proof of training in properly handling firearms and there are a number of proofs the state accepts, but my MA license to carry was not one of them. The state licensing dept has a comprehensive website with details on all the requirements, and where you can download an application. It's here: http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html, and I suggest you review it as it should answer all your questions about the process. If you still have the certificate of training you needed to get the MA license, and it was signed by an NRA-licensed instructor, it will be accepted. The easiest way to apply is at one of the division of licensing regional offices, where they fingerprint you, review your paperwork and take your picture. The license comes in the mail in about a week.

andyss420 02-16-2012 02:55 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking into the Tampa, Port Charlette kinda areas

WCS55 02-16-2012 05:44 PM

I live in the Tampa area. Welcome to the Gunshine State. You'll have no problem getting the CWP in FL - took only a few weeks to get mine from the State's department of Ag. And Cons. Services and I just mailed in the packet (check, finger prints, proof of training, passport photo). 75 for the license and 42 for the finger print processing (I think). They do have an option where you could go to city hall and meet someone and pay then and there get your pic taken and finger prints taken all at once. Either way is hassle free.

Safe travels.