More shooting from the peanut gallery ...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > More shooting from the peanut gallery ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 03:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Default More shooting from the peanut gallery ...

Embarrassingly I must confess that my new Px4 Storm has been sitting in the safe since Christmas. But I was restless today so I said to myself "what the hell it's only 17deg outside why not go to the range and get acquainted with your girl?" So that is exactly what I did. I grabbed my range bag, 100rds of ammo, some targets and headed forth into the frozen tundra. It turned out o be a very pleasant wintery afternoon ... clear skies, sunny and NO wind!

When i got the range oddly I found that I was the only one there. So I grabbed my tape measure out of the Jeep, headed over to the pistol pit and marked off 3 shooting distances ... 9', 15' and 21'. Next I loaded up the 2 magazines, 9 and 10rd respectively (they came with the pistol), and started off at the 9' distance.

I was pleasantly surprised at the recoil of this pistol. Having shot my friends H&K.40 a few times at the range I was expecting a lot more out my 45. Not so with the Beretta, and I felt very comfortable handling the recoil and sighting my shots. So I fired off 85rds at the 3 different distances to get a feel for the pistol, my stance, grip, breathing and sighting.

At this point I have to say I did find it a little uncomfortable trying to sight my shots with 1 eye closed. At the 9' distance I felt I was very accurate and with both eyes open. But at the further distances, 15' and 21', not so much. At the 21' distance I did have to close 1 eye and really concentrate on my follow up shots.

Aside from my issues with sighting the pistol functioned flawlessly - not 1 FTF, FTE or jam. Another thing I realized was that I need a mag loader and more magazines. Having to stop and reload magazines in 17deg weather sucks! So here are some pics of my 1st date with my new girl - Berretta Px4 Storm type F .45cal pistol, enjoy. (and no lewd comments about my girl!)

the Pistol Pit at Hale Mountain,
s5032539.jpg

the equipment,
s5032541.jpg

So for the last 15rds I shot 5 shot groups at the 3 distances. Here are the results,

target set at 9',
s5032543.jpg

target set at 15',
s5032544.jpg

target set at 21',
s5032545.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed the this post as much as I enjoyed shooting my new Beretta.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Nice.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Nice (and welcome to the "Not Fair Weather Shooter's Organization")

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #4

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Yeah it was pretty cold, I was out there about 2hrs. I don't mind and could stay out all day, it's just having to remove the gloves for loading the mags and changing the targets kind of sucked. I didn't mind wearing the gloves either while shooting, I figured I should practice under real world conditions - I have to wear gloves about 4 months a year. But obviously trigger feel is greatly reduced.

A couple things I did notice is that towards the end of the day, about the last 3 mags or so, I started to flinch on the first shot. Is there a specific training method to work on this or do I just keep shooting until I overcome it? Also in regards to sighting what is recommended - 1 eye or 2 eyes open?

Thanks

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD