Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > more kick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Default more kick

I can't figure this out im hoping someone will know why this happened... With my 40 just shooting in the backyard i shoot 180 grain fmj well i bought a box of fioche 165 grain fmj. When i shot the 165 grain i noticed it kicked atleast twice as hard. Hard enough it took a few shots to get used to it and adjust to hit what i was aiming at. Does anybody know why a smaller grain bullet would kick atleast twice as hard as a bigger grain bullet? It doesnt make sence even if it had more powder it shouldnt have kicked that much harder. The heavier bullet should still kick harder

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Recoil varies between manufacturer of ammunition. The recoil depends on how fast the powder burns, how much energy it produces, and so on. Were you using the same brand of ammunition?

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #3

No the fmj i normally shoot is winchester 180. But the ones that kick so hard is fioche 165

Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

from what i understand, dunno if its true or not, fiochi loads near max winchester tends to load the other way.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

So fioche has more power i just need to get used to the recoil? Or would i b better off with winchester

Old 11-17-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

depends on what your gonna use it for.

My opinion:

in self defense speed and accuracy are more important.

one of the reasons i dont like the 40sw for sd is the very snappy recoil. i find them hard to keep on target and still get fast follow ups. i prefer 45acp they dont flip up as much and you get a better sd round. its the same reason i dont like revolvers as sd guns, too slow. (yes i know there is one guy in the world that can fire a heavily modified wheelgun with ultra-light loads in .000000005 billionth of a second)

for a target gun and general plinking it doesnt really matter.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...