which is more important........

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > which is more important........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 04:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Default which is more important........

Ok I was reading a post that was comparing 9mm 357, 38. The jist was that the 357 was better because essentially they are the same size bullet, the 357 has greater muzzle velocity so it causes more damage.

My question is which more important the size of the bullet or the speed in which it travels? Does a slow heavy round say 230gr fmj .45cal that travels at 750-850 fps going to do less or more damage than say a 68gr .45 cal that travels at 1800 fps? Which is the most important, size, weight, or speed?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #2

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

There is probably a mathematical formula that factors all 3 variables to come up with the perfect round.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #3

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc29th View Post
There is probably a mathematical formula that factors all 3 variables to come up with the perfect round.

F = m x a

Force = mass x acceleration

Force in newtons or ft-lbs
mass in kilograms
acceleration in m/(s²)

google Newton's 2nd Law for a more detailed explanation of physics of accelerated objects

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8875 Times on 3844 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

It is actually a phenomenon called a temporary wound channel- the hole that is made in you opponent is larger than the diameter of the bullet. Bigger the TWC, more damage to opponent.

The bullet MUST penetrate deep enough that the TWC reaches vital parts of the body (think in 3 dimensions here)

For energy, it is not simply mass times acceleration- it is mass times speed SQUARED- so the faster bullet carries an advantage- AGAIN with the limit that the bullet MUST penetrate.

Do not ever think that a handgun is going to "knock" a person head over heels. If it did, action vs reaction would mean it had already knocked the shooter head over heels.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #5

Liked 90 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

E=mc2

Albert

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 09-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #6

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
E=mc2

Albert

nah, that's the theory of relativity...........theory that space and time are "relative" to one another and the speed of light is a constant (in the vacuum of space) to all observers

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-27-2012, 07:19 PM   #7

It is actually a phenomenon called a temporary wound channel- the hole that is made in you opponent is larger than the diameter of the bullet. Bigger the TWC, more damage to opponent.

The bullet MUST penetrate deep enough that the TWC reaches vital parts of the body (think in 3 dimensions here)

For energy, it is not simply mass times acceleration- it is mass times speed SQUARED- so the faster bullet carries an advantage- AGAIN with the limit that the bullet MUST penetrate.

Do not ever think that a handgun is going to "knock" a person head over heels. If it did, action vs reaction would mean it had already knocked the shooter head over heels.[quote].

That is why the 40 S&W round was designed. To give it speed closer to 9 mm, but have mass close to 45 ACP.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #8

I did the quote thing wrong sorry the top was quoting C3shooter

Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #9

A well placed 22 shot can do just as much if not more damage then larger calibers

Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #10

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
The best gun for self defense, the best caliber, is the one you are most comfortable with and can accurately shoot in a high stress situation. Even if this is only a humble little .22lr, you have found a winner.
I understand shot placement is key, but that taken out of the equation, which is more important to have, a fast and light or slower and heavier? If both round were to strike similar target at the same area which round would do more damage?

Last edited by GunRunner; 09-27-2012 at 08:17 PM.