Mixed feelings about my new sig mosquito
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Mixed feelings about my new sig mosquito

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mixed feelings about my new sig mosquito

I had recently purchase a sig mosquito on an impulse which is something iv never do. But something about it just called out to me. I liked the feel of it and the low cost of shooting 22 ammo. When I took it out the range I quickly decided that I did not like the single action trigger it was too long and felt kind of mushy.. But I continued to shoot it, after about the first 150 the feeding issues came into play. I only had three FTF and I was using the cci mini mag the guy at the gun store recommended. So I shot the other 50 and left the range disappointed....when I got home I read the manual I was told to strip the factory grease off and re lube it ( I know I should of done this first but I didn't think I would be coming home with a gun that day and went straight to the range) so I think this had alot to do with it. Also had read some reviews and how it likes a hotter ammo.. I haven't taken it out again but something inside of me wants to trade it in for something else like a bersa 9 which I have had my eye on for a while....so should I continue to break in my sig or take the loss and trade it in? I'm sure I'll make own decision but I wanted some opinions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

Sig makes some very nice guns but I dont think the Mosquito is one of them. If you like the feel, give it another chance.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #3

Yeah that's what all my buddies say...it came with a lighter recoil spring as well as the stock one so I think I might buy different types of ammo and try different spring- ammo combos.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5508 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

I feel the same about mine. I love the looks and feel but hate the trigger and its finicky ammo preference. I could live with the picky nature if the trigger was better. I would probably shoot it more.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #5

I do like DA pull, a little heavy but smooth and steady.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

One thing that helped mine was to polish the feed ramp. I used a dremel tool and found a brush or tool that just fit into the ramp. That helped its performance. I still get some misfires and once in a while a misfeed but it is just a fun gun to target shoot with so I do not let it bother me. I still have fun with it. Federal bulk pack works better than Remington. CCI minimags work very well but since I am cheap I just use the Federal for the most part. Also I run it wet or well oiled. I would not trust any self defense situation with it but it is fun to shoot and just relax and take some of the misfires with a grain of salt. Good Luck.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 AM   #7

Yeah I had seen a YouTube video about polishing the feed ramp so I might just have to invest in a dremel. But a guy I work with has a friend who has a mosquito says he uses the bulk Remington golden bullets and they work great.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:39 AM   #8

And as for SD I have my 870 in my closet, although I would like to get my cwp but the sig is my only handgun I call my own.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:52 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I feel fortunate. I've had mine for a year now and just love it. I feed it nothing but CCI mini mags. But they do like to run wet. I've got better than 1-1500 rounds though it and it's still running great. I know a lot of folks have had a lot of issues with them. It's too bad, like others have said, it looks and feels great. I'd give it a good cleaning and lubing and give it another chance. Good luck and happy shooting.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:34 AM   #10

Well after hearing all of this info I lubed it up nicely and I think my buddy and I are going to run some tests on different ammo, it turns out I'm the one who is being picky haha.