A minor handgun dilemma - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > A minor handgun dilemma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Sig P220 and yes .45's aren't the cheapest to shoot but I love .45's . Nothing wrong with adding another gun into the mix by any means but I just got a .22 conversion kit for my 220 so It's a cheap way to spend a day at the range while keeping the same feel and trigger of my go to weapon. Don't know if its a option for you but just a thought.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My first thought is "Why not tell the buddy to trade his smegma in on something he likes better or sell it to some sap, so he can buy your .40 outright"? I wouldn't get into a double trade situation completely for somebody else's benefit; you would be going to a LOT of hassle and risking paying more for the 9mm you want to trade-in on than you could get on a cash-in-hand price. If duder has promised a fat trade-in value, he may be prepping for the old used car dealer gimmick with fat trade-ins being absorbed by equally fat sales prices.

I haven't seen you state what the dealer would offer as a trade-in on the M&P? That is a factor that should also be considered.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #13

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Double post.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Last edited by jamesb; 01-04-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #14

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I haven't seen you state what the dealer would offer as a trade-in on the M&P? That is a factor that should also be considered.
This. If the dealer is willing to give you $250 for a Sigma then the trade offer by them has to be over $400 on the M&P right.

Why not just sell the M&P privately to get a M&P 9. New M&P full size 9mm are $469 here.

I traded a Glock 19 + $100 for my two tone full size M&P 9 w/ Apex trigger/sear and range kit. I love it!

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

Old 01-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #15

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I agree, if he is going to throw money on top of the Sigma, he can do so himself at the gunstore. Politely decline. I hear nothing but good things about M&Ps, Ill have one by the end of the year.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Keep the M & P. It is a far more superior gun then the Sigma. I would keep the M & P as a spare gun if you have to send the 45 in for repair. M & P has a better trigger then the Sigma. You can always get a 9mm later. I you keep your eyes open you could find great deals on one.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 01-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I don't know what it takes to sell a gun wherever you live. Here in Florida, you can sell to individuals without involving the government or someone with an FFL. If that's also the case where you live, you would probably make out better financially to sell the M&P to an individual buyer. You might even find a good trade for/toward the 9mm you want. Look for a local gun forum or buy/sell/trade website and list it there. Or if your favorite range has a newsletter, there might be a B/S/T section there. If you don't mind involving an FFL, there's the B/S/T section here, and there's always gunbroker.

If you can't do that in your state, or if you prefer the quick-and-easy trade to your local gun shop, by all means do the trade with your coworker. You'll be helping a buddy and supporting your LGS.

Just make sure that one day you aren't going to wish you had kept the M&P and saved up for the 9mm to boot.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #18

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Seems the only way any trade is a good deal is if you are happy with the results. If there is a chance you'll regret getting rid of the .40S&W, then it'll come down to how much you want to help your buddy.