A minor handgun dilemma
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > A minor handgun dilemma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 328 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default A minor handgun dilemma

So I was trying to decide on a .40 handgun a while ago. I had a poll on here about it. In the meantime, I bought a RIA .45 at a gun show. Good shooting gun and I really like the 1911. Here's the dilemma:

I got a call from a buddy that has a buddy that needed some money for Christmas. My buddy is not into guns but his buddy wanted to sell one to put some presents under the tree. So I give the guy $400 for an unfired new in box S&W M&P .40 w/3 boxes of ammo. Just like it came from the gun shop. Now after shooting the .45 I realize I don't really need the .40 and would rather have a 9mm for the ammo cost.

I mentioned to a co-worker that I might be getting rid of this gun. He has a Sigma .40 and wanted to see if I would trade with him for his gun plus cash. His Sigma is worth about $250-275 trade in to my dealer. He would make up the rest in cash.

I was all set to do this but now I think that I've already got the gun paid for. If I trade with my co-worker and then go trade with my dealer, I'm just going to end up spending even more money. I like the feel of the S&W and if it weren't for the RIA, I would probably just keep it.

What would you all do? Keep a great deal on the S&W and invest in ammo or make the trades to help out a co-worker and get into a 9mm?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

To many hand guns a dilemma? Keep the M&P and pick up a good 9MM and complete the trifecta of 3 great calibers. That's what I would do, just don't tell the wife.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #3

Liked 1447 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 336

The only gun deals I have ever regretted was ones where a firearm passed from my ownership to someone elses.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2548 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Ok,

If I was going to trade my M&P 40 off it would be for something other than a Sigma 9mm. If you are like me if you get boot for the trade you will spend the money "Like Gone" And when you do get ready to trade or sell the Sigma 9mm in the future you are going to take a bath on that one! If the M&P 40 is like new and or in great shape you should have no problem getting a better 9mm if you want one. If nothing else the guy who is badly wanting to trade for a larger caliber as the 40, if you know what I mean. That is just my opinion on the trade deal!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Ok,

If I was going to trade my M&P 40 off it would be for something other than a Sigma 9mm. If you are like me if you get boot for the trade you will spend the money "Like Gone" And when you do get ready to trade or sell the Sigma 9mm in the future you are going to take a bath on that one! If the M&P 40 is like new and or in great shape you should have no problem getting a better 9mm if you want one. If nothing else the guy who is badly wanting to trade for a larger caliber as the 40, if you know what I mean. That is just my opinion on the trade deal!

My co-worker has a Sigma .40. He would give me the gun and $150. I would then go to my gun store and look into a 9mm with the first $400 covered by the Sigma and $150. I would still be putting the original $400 back into a gun.

Basically I wouldn't me making anything off the M&P but would be helping out a co-worker by getting him into a better gun.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'd rather have an M&P than a Sigma +$150, regardless of caliber. If you want to switch calibers, the best option will probably be to post a "WTT" (willing to trade) add on a local trading board.

BTW- Getting $250-275 trade-in from a dealer on a Sigma seems pretty steep, as they're easy enough to find brand new for under $300.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

keep the .40. tax time is just around the corner... go buy a ruger sr9 or sr9c and have three great hanguns

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #8

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I would definately NOT trade for the sigma. The M&P is 100x better gun then that sigma. You would be getting screwed,even with the extra money.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Something is not coming across right here.

I have no interest in keeping the Sigma. My dealer has given me a commitment that he will give me $250 in trade on the Sigma. I have bought multiple guns from him in the past. We have also done business on a couple of gun stands in the past.

I have $400 in the M&P. I would be getting out of it at no profit but would be helping a co-worker into a much better gun.

With the cost of .45, I was looking at 9mm as a caliber that I could target shoot with for a lot longer than the .45. Say a couple hundred rounds of 9mm followed by 50 .45s. I can get the 9mm for $10 per 50 for Federal Champion rounds at a Wal-Mart by me. The .40 is $18 per 50.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Something is not coming across right here.

I have no interest in keeping the Sigma. My dealer has given me a commitment that he will give me $250 in trade on the Sigma. I have bought multiple guns from him in the past. We have also done business on a couple of gun stands in the past.

I have $400 in the M&P. I would be getting out of it at no profit but would be helping a co-worker into a much better gun.

With the cost of .45, I was looking at 9mm as a caliber that I could target shoot with for a lot longer than the .45. Say a couple hundred rounds of 9mm followed by 50 .45s. I can get the 9mm for $10 per 50 for Federal Champion rounds at a Wal-Mart by me. The .40 is $18 per 50.
I gotcha bro. I dont want to come off as an a$$ since I dont know you well enough yet. But I have traded a few guns before. If you want the 9mm(I agree by the way) then you are going to have to leave your co-worker out of this one. I know you want to help him out but you will get more for your pistol you have now in trade then you would with the sigma plus $150 cash. If I were you I would go trade your 40 in and plop down a little more money and get a good 9mm. I did almost the exact same thing yesterday but I traded in a 1911 .45 for a 9mm. I have 1911's coming out of my wazoo and I really wanted this 9mm. So I got a great deal and have the pistol I have been wanting. Or if it makes you feel better then take your co-worker with you to your gun dealer and have him work his own deal. I dont like gun deals between friends or co-workers because if something goes wrong with gun then you may have some hard feelings, warranted or not.
Good luck man in whatever you decide.

HOTTY TODDY!!!!