mercury filled hollow points?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > mercury filled hollow points?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My dad was talkin about one of his favorite books he used to read as a kid and said In the book the guy drilled his own hollow points and filled them with mercury then sealed the tip with wax. and it apparently makes the bullets expand and release a lot more of its energy. Is this for real or anyone kbow anything about that?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #2

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I dont know about making it expand but I did see it in a movie. I know that if the initial gun shot dose not kill you the mercury will later on.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #3

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

I saw it in a movie when I was slot younger, the only thing I can say is....... Leave this idea alone, two ways to die, one of which is mercury poisoning.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #4

don't worry I'm not touching mercury any time soon. Nor would I fire anything like that through my guns

Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

it doesnt do anything like that.

(actually tried it when i was a lot younger and a lot dumber never fired them) the mercury does funky things with lead. mercury will pop out the wax cap since there is nothing in bullet construction that wax will hold onto

couple of issues:

boring out the bullet will make it likely to disintegrate on leaving the gun or fly waaaay off course and impact drastical in the wrong spot.

to be dangerous mercury has to be ingested or skin exposure for a long time. its just a heavy metal like lead. it takes years if not decades for the slightest hint of mercury poisoning to show up from much larger ammounts than what any typical bullet could hold.

carrying poisoned bullets for self defense will land you in prison in any of the 50 (51 states if your ivy league educated) states.

mercury bullets will make a bullet perform worse than just carrying normal HP self defense rounds. there are youtube vids of people testing such things in ballistic gel if you care to hunt them up.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #6

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

It is possible that one could inhale mercury vapor from fired rounds

Old 03-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9171 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

The book was "Day of the Jackal". A professional assassin was trying to take out the President of France, Charles DeGaulle. The stated theory was that the heavy mercury, upon rapid decelleration, would slam forward, blowing the bullet apart.

Total pure fantasy. The author confused mercury, a heavy toxic metal, with fulminate of mercury- a REALLY touchy explosive that USED to be used to make primers, blasting caps, etc.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #8

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Mercury was used for years to remove lead from gun barrels. Everyone used Mercury to clean guns back in the day. Yes many ended up with health problems.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:42 AM   #9

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Damn after that last post I am getting to Hell out of here.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've heard of people filling JHP with gun powder and sealing it with a primer. I think that be a bit more effective than mercury tipped rounds (although a bit more dangerous).

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash