Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Maryland legal assault pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Maryland legal assault pistols

MD has legalized some assult pistols including the SIG556 pistol. Does anyone know what other ones have been legalized?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

assault pistols? as opposed to a passive pistols?

Old 04-12-2010, 02:27 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

sorry, let me try to explain my position you sound as if you have been trained by Hollywood calling this pistol an "assult" pistol. I get so tired of hereing such stuff.

this goes hand and hand with saying "he has a high powered rifle" as opposed to a LOW powered rifle?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 AM   #4

Liked 1415 Times on 816 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Are you guys talking about an AR pistol? I saw one on the wall in a gun store.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #5

Liked 886 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 289

AR-15 assault pistols and any clones are ILLEGAL in Maryland.

Maryland State Police
Annoying tool but provided by the Maryland State Police so it's a good source of info.

Quote:
§ 4-301. "Assault pistol" defined.

In this subtitle, "assault pistol" means any of the following firearms or a copy regardless of the producer or manufacturer:

(1) AA Arms AP-9 semiautomatic pistol;

(2) Bushmaster semiautomatic pistol;

(3) Claridge HI-TEC semiautomatic pistol;

(4) D Max Industries semiautomatic pistol;

(5) Encom MK-IV, MP-9, or MP-45 semiautomatic pistol;

(6) Heckler and Koch semiautomatic SP-89 pistol;

(7) Holmes MP-83 semiautomatic pistol;

(8) Ingram MAC 10/11 semiautomatic pistol and variations including the Partisan Avenger and the SWD Cobray;

(9) Intratec TEC-9/DC-9 semiautomatic pistol in any centerfire variation;

(10) P.A.W.S. type semiautomatic pistol;

(11) Skorpion semiautomatic pistol;

(12) Spectre double action semiautomatic pistol (Sile, F.I.E., Mitchell);

(13) UZI semiautomatic pistol;

(14) Weaver Arms semiautomatic Nighthawk pistol; or

(15) Wilkinson semiautomatic "Linda" pistol.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H-1; 2002, ch. 26, § 2.]

Quote:
§ 4-303. Assault pistols - Prohibited.

(a) In general.- Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not:

(1) transport an assault pistol into the State; or

(2) possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, purchase, or receive an assault pistol.

(b) Exception.- A person who lawfully possessed an assault pistol before June 1, 1994 and who registered the assault pistol with the Secretary of the State Police before August 1, 1994 may continue to possess the assault pistol.

[An. Code 1957, art. 27, § 36H-3; 2002, ch. 26, § 2.]
As usual, I'm NOT a lawyer, don't accept what I post as legal advice. Talk to a lawyer but I don't think MD has legalized any assault pistols, they just have not made some new ones Illegal yet. And as 4-303 reads, if they decide to add one like the sig 556 to the list then you can no longer possess or even sell it legally IMO.

Quote:
sorry, let me try to explain my position you sound as if you have been trained by Hollywood calling this pistol an "assult" pistol. I get so tired of hereing such stuff.
Maryland defined Assault Pistol. While in the firearms industry it might not be a term, it is a specific and accurate term in discussion of MD law.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #6

Not long ago MD made legal the Thompson pistol and now apparently the Sig 556 pistol is legal as well as I believe the bushmster AR pistol. Just wondering if anyone knew of any others. I said assault pistol because that is how MD terms them.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Gun View Post
Not long ago MD made legal the Thompson pistol and now apparently the Sig 556 pistol is legal as well as I believe the bushmster AR pistol. Just wondering if anyone knew of any others. I said assault pistol because that is how MD terms them.
Do you have any references that verify this? All I know is what the code says, but if they have recently added or amended this I would like to know.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #8

I was at my local shop the other day and they had a SIG 556 pistol on the wall. I was surprsed so I asked how it was they had that for sale and they told me MD had legalized a couple "assault" pistols the Sig 556 being one of them.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 AM   #9

The sig is on the list but I don't see the Bushmaster on it. Why? I have no idea. Here is the list, it's in my first post as well.

Maryland State Police

I was talking about something with a friend a few weeks back. Now when you buy an AR-15 lower you have to specify on paperwork(federal I think) if it's a pistol or rifle. So if you buy an AR-15 lower and check off the pistol block in MD your breaking the law but the EXACT same item with rifle checked off is legal. How's that for confusing and stupid law.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-15-2010, 03:46 AM   #10

Liked 3684 Times on 1817 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Please STOP using the terminology of the "Galacticly Stupid".

We know what MD calls them. We also know you don't qualify for a political career unless you suffer from Cranial Rectitis...commonly known as head in AZZ syndrome.

Really, if your state decided to call pearing knives "psychotic fruit killers", would you follow suit?

Thank you.

Tack