Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Mark III question

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Bill,

NO WD40... that stuff will leave a waxy film
Not if you blow it off before it dries.
__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 30
Default

Wow billt, I've never heard of doing that. Sounds good to me.

__________________
Chicken is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken View Post
Wow billt, I've never heard of doing that. Sounds good to me.
As I said it won't hurt wood or plastic grips. But if you have expensive custom grips and find it worrisome to soak them that way, they are very easily removed on the Ruger Mark series of .22 autos.
__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,512
Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
As I said it won't hurt wood or plastic grips. But if you have expensive custom grips and find it worrisome to soak them that way, they are very easily removed on the Ruger Mark series of .22 autos.
Because it would take 9 seconds to unscrew the grips?

I, personally, wouldn't want to expose my MKII wood grips

to anything but furniture polish.
__________________
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #45
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

If you hold the gun by the grips with the magazine removed, not much gets on to them. And what little does blows dry easily. Here in Arizona it is so dry that I generally wipe by wood grips and rifle stocks down with an oily cloth from time to time. However one of my Mark III Rugers is a Talo model, and has the really nice one piece wrap around grips with the finger grooves and laser etching. Those I do remove. As you mentioned it takes very little time to do so.

__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #46
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona,Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,642
Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

I should add I came up with this method because I don't like "Gun Scrubber" or commercial Brake Cleaner. It isn't because they don't work, but rather because they refrigerate the gun to the point condensation can form on it. It's not a problem on the outside, but it can be if moisture condenses on springs and internal parts, causing rust in the process. This won't occur with either Kerosene or WD-40.

__________________
billt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,512
Liked 2447 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
If you hold the gun by the grips with the magazine removed, not much gets on to them. And what little does blows dry easily. Here in Arizona it is so dry that I generally wipe by wood grips and rifle stocks down with an oily cloth from time to time. However one of my Mark III Rugers is a Talo model, and has the really nice one piece wrap around grips with the finger grooves and laser etching. Those I do remove. As you mentioned it takes very little time to do so.
Yeah, see, I have these really nice wood grips, and I'm not taking any chances.

But I've used the same solvent bath technique before, and you can

sponge up a lot of displaced soot in this manner. Q-Tips catch a lot of

dirt this way.

I like the Amsoil spray

lube for this job. Pricey, but great protection.
__________________

Last edited by therewolf; 05-31-2012 at 04:05 PM.
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Just hit the 3 gallon mark. kfox75 The Club House 20 01-20-2012 08:46 AM
New Ruger Mark III 22/45 Gmanpoke Range Report 4 08-01-2011 03:23 PM
I want a Mark III..... winds-of-change General Handgun Discussion 76 07-12-2011 03:25 PM
Mark Up BudW General Rifle Discussion 8 03-13-2011 04:34 PM
Ruger M77 Mark II 204 keitho Optics & Mounts 2 08-09-2010 07:56 PM



Newest Threads