Mark III question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Mark III question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1315 Times on 780 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Blue man...

with an empty firearm, flip the safety on, rack the slide, point the fire arm in a SAFE direction, pull the trigger. With the firearm still pointed in a safe direction, are you listening, the firearm pointed in a safe direction, flip the safety off. Mine discharged a live round! Scared the crap out of me.

But damn, the MKII hammer is a sweet trigger!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Blue man...

with an empty firearm, flip the safety on, rack the slide, point the fire arm in a SAFE direction, pull the trigger. With the firearm still pointed in a safe direction, are you listening, the firearm pointed in a safe direction, flip the safety off. Mine discharged a live round! Scared the crap out of me.

But damn, the MKII hammer is a sweet trigger!
Yep, that's why you've got a safety between your ears.
Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM

Old 05-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1315 Times on 780 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
Yep, that's why you've got a safety between your ears.
yea, that happened at my range during practice, luckily muzzle pointed down range... same night that an experience shooter fumbled his target pistol and put a round into his leg... not 5' from where I was sitting. Each incident was bad enough, but the two together shook me. Safety is first, second, and third.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Overkill pretty much got it covered. The only thing I can add is the gun gets easier to take apart the more it's disassembled. The parts kinda loosen and it's not as hard. Yes, it's a little more involved than other pistols but it's a great gun and well worth the extra few minutes to get it apart and back together.
+1 ... it is not that the Mark pistols are difficult to field strip and reassemble. The real issue is that there are a couple of easy steps that are hard to explain in writing that most new owners miss. (I did, anyway.)

The most common issue in reassembling a Mark pistol is that before you re-insert the mainspring housing assembly (MHA) into the grip of the gun, you need to have the hammer all the way forward. Otherwise the MHA will de-insert itelf as you close it, which is maddening. For a Mark III, this means that you must insert an empty magazine, pull the trigger, and push the hammer with a Q tip or some other tool such that the hammer is all the way forward. Takes about a second, but if you don't do this the MHA will not close properly. This is explained in the manual but many new Mark users miss this step at first. I did.

The other common issue when reassembling a Mark comes right after you perform the above step and insert the MHA. Sometimes the MHA closes properly, but once the gun is fully assemble the action will not pull back all the way. This means that the hammer strut was not positioned properly when closing the MHA. The easiest way to avoid this is when you close the MHA have the barrel pointed in the air. I make it a practice to point the barrel in the air and give the muzzle a firm tap with a nylon mallet. Often you will hear a little "click" which is the hammer strut falling into the correct position. When you close the MHA, if the hammer strut is correctly positioned per above, you will feel spring tension on the MHA for the last little bit as you close it. This means that all is well.

The above tricks were my own little problems when I was first learning the Marks. No problem now, and they are great pistols. Actually you can field strip and clean a Mark faster than most other pistols.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the others are right, as they are a little difficult the first few times when new. they do get easier as they break in and you have done it several times. just follow the procedures in the owners manual and you will do fine. i printed a schematic of mine off and put it u on the wall in front of my bench to assist me in the teardown.

i bought mine about a year ago and found that i really like the pistol. mine is the Mark III 22/45 target model, and its pretty dang accurate. there is also lots of aftermarket parts and accessories for them. another suggestion, buy some more magazines. you will have so much fun shooting, that you don't want to stop to load mags!

Old 05-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #16

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
For a Mark III, this means that you must insert an empty magazine, pull the trigger, and push the hammer with a Q tip or some other tool such that the hammer is all the way forward.
Took me a whole evening to discover this. To me itís counter intuitive to put a magazine into a pistol when stripping it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redleg View Post
I make it a practice to point the barrel in the air and give the muzzle a firm tap with a nylon mallet.
I'm looking for a small mallet for my range bag. Wish it wasn't needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
you will have so much fun shooting, that you don't want to stop to load mags!
Yes, itís a blast. Keep an eye out for bulk CCI rounds. Personally I get better results loading just one magazine at a time. It gives me a small break from aiming Ďsetsí.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #17

Wow!!! Such helpful advice! So glad to be part of the forum. Thank y'all so much!! I'll give y'all a report on how I did.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #18

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Our MkIII is an incredible pistol.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 05-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I agree that the Mark pistols are pretty darned tight the first dozen or so times you field strip them. Ruger ships the darned things tight. And they stay pretty tight, but the Marks do loosen up such that they become easier to field strip over time. I do think that if you own a new Mark you need to have a rubber or nylon mallet. With my two Mark IIIs there is no other way to separate the barrel from the handgrip assembly. The mallet is your friend. The day does come when you don't need it, but not very soon.

Old 05-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #20
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8501 Times on 5081 Posts
Likes Given: 11118

See my avatar? I have so much fun with that gun.
therewolf Likes This