Mark III question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Mark III question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mark III question

Hey guys! My CZ 75b still has not come in yet. So, yesterday I purchased a new Ruger Mark III to take to the range, in hopes it will pacify me in the meantime. I saw a comment on another forum that you should clean it before taking it to the range even if it's brand new. I thought it should be ready to shoot straight out of the box. Also, I've read some horror stories about taking the gun apart to clean, but then I saw a few YouTube videos that made it seem simple enough. This was definitely an impulse buy, and I want to make sure I didn't get myself into something I can't handle. I love the heavy feel of the gun, but it is a little bit different than other guns I have shot/ field stripped. I plan on taking it to the range Saturday. Any advice/ input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3084 Times on 1545 Posts
Likes Given: 377

If it's NIB, you received an owner's manual. With the instructions and the diagram, that's how I figured it out. Add YouTube to the mix and you should be fine. If yours is anything like mine was, you will need to field strip & clean the packing grease out of it. It's not THAT hard. Once you figure it out, practice it a few times and you should be fine. Ruger must get that packing grease cheap, because they are quite generous with it.
Ironically, your CZ will probably be worse, Eastern Europe must have huge stockpiles of packing grease they are trying to use up... mine was ridiculous.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 05-24-2012 at 03:34 PM.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #3

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Overkill pretty much got it covered. The only thing I can add is the gun gets easier to take apart the more it's disassembled. The parts kinda loosen and it's not as hard. Yes, it's a little more involved than other pistols but it's a great gun and well worth the extra few minutes to get it apart and back together.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 05-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #4

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Put a scope on it, and it's a 50 yard tackdriver, with the 6-3/4"

slab-side barrel...

Old 05-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1007 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 220

strange reassembly procedure

Volquartsen trigger kit is awesome... assuming you don't have a safety issue like I did. But they fixed it for me at no charge.

I really like mine.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #6

Awesome insight! Thanks guys!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #7

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

They can be a nightmare to reassemble the first few times, once you figure it out, its not too bad.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #8

Liked 1875 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 1420

As some here posted, you have to do the 'Hokey Pokey' with a magazine to get the hammer to go down in order to get the mainspring back in. It's not really complicated, I just find it hard to work the main spring release.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #9

Good to know. I saw on another forum that a guy messed up his hammer strut on his Mark iii when he took his apart, and that made me a little nervous.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Get yourself a plastic-headed hammer for the first dozen times you take it apart and reassemble it. I already had one of these (http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=SOFT+FACE+HAMMERS&TYPE=PRODUC T&PARTNUMBER=57-594&SDesc=8+oz%2E+Soft+Face+Hammer) which is a little easier to use on the gun than a full-on rubber mallet, and still doesn't damage it.

I would recommend not taking apart the trigger group. I couldn't figure out how to get the hammer, sear, and mag disconnect back in, and I could have looked up a video on how to do it, but I used the excuse to get a Mk II hammer and sear, which dropped in with no modification and are a hell of a lot easier to reassemble. Parts were from Volquartsen, same as Partdeux got his, and they've been great so far, even improving the trigger break a bit.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 05-25-2012 at 01:21 AM.