man makes a .22 lr pistol with a 3d printer - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > man makes a .22 lr pistol with a 3d printer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

So the guy basically built an illegal gun........

Old 07-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10395 Times on 4485 Posts
Likes Given: 1652

If you mean illegal because of the plastic/ security xray, etc- don't think so. When you install the pieces parts- hammer, sear, trigger, springs, mag release, bolt hold open etc etc it would be detectable. But until you mentioned that, had not really thought about it. And the upper will have a steel barrel, bolt, bolt carrier group, etc.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:27 PM   #13

Actually, I was referring to the possibility that it does not have a serial #. Which, in hindsight, I don't know if it does. It just came off as something that some guy made, and he's not BATF licensed to manufacture guns.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6660 Times on 3544 Posts
Likes Given: 498

It is legal to make some firearms for your own personal use so long as you dont give them away or sell them
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

And as long as the firearm does not "enter the stream of commerce" it does not have to have a serial number.

If this ever reaches the point of being economically feasible, I can see the internet flame wars now-

YOUR build is trash because YOU ran the software on a PC/ Apple/ Ipod. YOU are using LINUX instead of DOS. Sorry, you used a Chinese printer- your gun is not 922 compliant. MY software came from DPMS, and it is just as good as your ArmaLite software, and a lot cheaper. Oh yeah, well, HE used open source shareware, it is not milspec, and does not have a dust cover.
Since this deposits mini dots of plastic for the build, there will be the "old school" AR fans that swear it has to be aluminum- and think AR means Aluminum Rifle.

On the other hand, when someone makes a 1911 that is plastic based, the Glock and 1911 fans will unite (except for the owners of steel guns that will decry the heresy)

And Frank Lautenberg and Barbara Boxer will enter an amendment to an agriculture bill that will make it a crime to fail to secure your printer, and require a background check for printers sold at computer shows. And protest the cheap internet sale of printer templates- especially the ones that have the thing that goes up over the barrel.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #16

Really? You can make your own gun? I did not know that. I was under the impression that making your own gun was a huge NO-NO. I have been wondering about that lately. I have noticed a number of You-tube videos about people who have made their own. Couldn't believe they posted them up there.....Does anyone think the Feds comb thru all that crap and go bust some people occasionally because of the video they made & posted?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Gee- you mean that if I make a video showing me performing a felonious act, like possessing a SBR or a full auto that I have not registered, and post it on a public forum oe website, that it COULD be used as evidence against me?

Whoda thunk it ? I mean, it is just a LITTLE felony, punished by 10 years in Federal prison, and a $10,000 fine. It's not like I tore the tags off my mattress or sumpin....

(Evolution in action- truly stupid people removing selves from breeding population)

Old 07-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #18

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Anyone find that link saying JFK is alive and having sex with Marilyn Monroe on a beach in Mexico?

Give me a few minutes and I'll even find you a link saying Elana Kagan was born a female.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #19

Well, C3, I ask because I have never heard of someone getting busted because of a youtube video. And there are plenty of questionable ones. And yeah, I know there are a lot of massively stupid people around...........