Man im dumb - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Man im dumb

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #21
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
robocop10mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin,Texas, by God!!
Posts: 10,196
Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Default

Too much lube can be a bad thing in the striker channel. #1 is can accumulate in the front area and impede the lmovement of the striker (hyrdaulic action). #2 it will attract and hold soot and brass shavings. This will eventually prevent the gun from firing. The striker should be removed, cleaned and lighly lubed every year or 1-2K of round count.

I have seen countless semi-auto pistols crudded up in the firing pin/striker channel to the point they misfire.

__________________

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

robocop10mm is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Glasshartt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: El Paso,Tx
Posts: 1,897
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Too much lube can be a bad thing in the striker channel. #1 is can accumulate in the front area and impede the lmovement of the striker (hyrdaulic action). #2 it will attract and hold soot and brass shavings. This will eventually prevent the gun from firing. The striker should be removed, cleaned and lighly lubed every year or 1-2K of round count.

I have seen countless semi-auto pistols crudded up in the firing pin/striker channel to the point they misfire.
Exactly right Robo, too much lube is as bad, if not worse, than too little. One of my duties is performing yearly checks on the department's weapons. The first year, there were some that I couldn't see how they were still functioning. Some had oil just dripping off of them when I openend them up. In others, the FP channels were so filled with goop and gunk it wasn't funny. Their lives depend on their weapons and they have never taken the time to have the weapon totally broken down and checked over by an armorer. For a non-LEO/non-military that may be fine, but a LEO's/military weapon is exposed to the elements continually and it is amazing what gets into them. I use Gunzilla for cleaning, it is great and biodegradable. I use milspec as a lube, most of the officers carry glocks and a little goes a long way. Out here, it can be very windy at times and too much lube attracts way too much dust on the weapons. Some of the weapons, the only time they get cleaned is when I do the yearly check.
__________________
Linda

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking


Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....
Glasshartt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:58 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WVwheelgunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 34
Default

spittinfire, that a Model 27-2 in my avatar.

I hear what you guys are saying about too much lube. I clean my guns after each shooting session (I blast out gunk with Bore Blast) I don't over lube, so I've never had a problem.

BUT - I was shooting a guy's semi-auto at the range a while back (can't remember what it was) and the blasted thing was practically dripping oil.

I said, "Hey man, you got enough oil on this thing?" He then went on about how you can't put too much oil on a gun, etc. I didn't argue, but oil WILL attract dust & debris, and it WILL jam up a semi-auto. I just use a couple drops on the rails, a little more on contact points, and that's it!

I always thought it was common sense not to over lube something which requires free movement.

Quote:
Some had oil just dripping off of them when I openend them up. In others, the FP channels were so filled with goop and gunk it wasn't funny.
I'll bet a lot of shooters simply use oil instead of cleaning their gun.
__________________

NRA Life Member

WVwheelgunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1420 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Brake-Clean, wipe down then a very light coat of Rem-Oil or Mobil-1.

K.I.S.S.!!!!!

__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 01-15-2010 at 02:38 AM.
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MoHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 2,436
Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Default

I'll be honest, I thought Mobil-1 was a joke... People use it? Hmm... I have a garage full of it

__________________

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com
MoHawk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:37 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
M14sRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,539
Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHawk View Post
I'll be honest, I thought Mobil-1 was a joke... People use it? Hmm... I have a garage full of it
Most high quality gun products came from the automotive industry. Synthetic motor oil (and grease) that works for thousands of miles in a high temp engine is great for guns. Just avoid stuff with dyes and detergents as it can affect finishes and stain clothes.
__________________
M14sRock is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spittinfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maiden,NC
Posts: 9,663
Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVwheelgunner View Post
spittinfire, that a Model 27-2 in my avatar.

I hear what you guys are saying about too much lube. I clean my guns after each shooting session (I blast out gunk with Bore Blast) I don't over lube, so I've never had a problem.

BUT - I was shooting a guy's semi-auto at the range a while back (can't remember what it was) and the blasted thing was practically dripping oil.

I said, "Hey man, you got enough oil on this thing?" He then went on about how you can't put too much oil on a gun, etc. I didn't argue, but oil WILL attract dust & debris, and it WILL jam up a semi-auto. I just use a couple drops on the rails, a little more on contact points, and that's it!

I always thought it was common sense not to over lube something which requires free movement.
I'll bet a lot of shooters simply use oil instead of cleaning their gun.
Nice looking weapon. I love S&W revolvers, especially the earlier ones. I've got a 19-4 and a 629-1.
__________________

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer


Last edited by Dillinger; 01-15-2010 at 02:41 PM.
spittinfire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:01 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
m72law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 1,316
Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Default

STP oil treatment works great in ak-type rifles...im guilty

__________________

Last edited by m72law; 01-15-2010 at 05:33 PM.
m72law is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MoHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Yorktown, VA
Posts: 2,436
Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

Default

I didn't mean to sound uninformed.... I just am. Thanks to M14 for a REAL answer

__________________

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com
MoHawk is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IGETEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tornado \"Just Blow Me\" Alley,Oklahoma U.S.A.
Posts: 8,424
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Amsoil....Use it on my guns, rifles, in my vehicles and bikes. Not one problem ever in weapon's function or vehicles mechanically.

Jack

__________________
Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
IGETEVEN is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
I guess I'm a dumb a$$... Jesse17 Politics, Religion and Controversy 20 10-16-2009 05:52 AM
dumb Wasr 10 question herp_man2003 AK & SKS Discussion 4 02-04-2009 07:26 AM
Dumb News Angle on Guns BigO01 The Club House 7 08-14-2008 12:47 PM
New guy, dumb question chorst294 General Shotgun Discussion 3 08-05-2008 01:21 AM
REALLY dumb newbie question painted_klown The Club House 11 05-18-2008 06:42 AM