Magazine Springs

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Magazine Springs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Magazine Springs

How long should a magizine be left fully loaded ? Will spring damage occour if left loaded to long ? Thanks for any suggestions.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2010, 03:10 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I don't plan on using the gun I keep the mags unloaded. All my home defense guns are wheel guns. My carry gun is the only one that usually stays loaded. and I swap them out from time to time. I do this to keep the spring from fatiguing. Back to your question at hand I believe (if i am wrong someone correct me) that the springs will wear out if left loaded all the time.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 06-02-2010, 03:10 AM   #3

Liked 311 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 27

My real experience is that you can leave magazines loaded for 20 years or more with no ill effects. What wares the springs out is use (constantly unloading and reloading) of the magazine.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #4

Thanks RadioActiv and mrm14 for your response. I appreciate the info. Usually I'm a Revolver user but am considering trying an Auto

Old 06-02-2010, 02:45 PM   #5

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The quality of springs nowdays is better than in the past. I have never had any problems with the springs in my magazines. I try to rotate mags in my P-14 if I remember to do so, but have left them full of Talons for well over a year at a time with no problems. If you do a lot of shooting, you do need to clean your mags once in a while, which is something most people don't do, or even think of doing. A dirty mag can and will cause you problems, hopefully not when it is needed the most. Do regular cleaning and maint. on your mags, just like you do for your pistol. It just may save your life some day................

Jim...............

Old 06-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2964 Posts
Likes Given: 375

unloading mags and loading them is what causes fatigue in springs. your actually doing more damage by swapping them out and letting them "rest" once loaded leave them loaded until fired.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:58 AM   #7

Thanks masterPsmith and JonM for your input. My doubts about magzine springs has been removed. I am now comfortable with going with an Auto loader.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #8

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

This article might be helpful-

Magazine spring madness: 'creep' to your 'elastic limit' to un-earth the urban legend of 'spring-set' | American Handgunner | Find Articles at BNET

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%