Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   mag pouch and how long loaded? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/mag-pouch-how-long-loaded-89875/)

old fart 05-01-2013 12:29 AM

mag pouch and how long loaded?

i have two questions and thought i would ask them both at once. i recently bought a stoeger cougar 40cal auto. i was wondering what type mag pouch i need?, i'll be hiking so i need a secure one. also will it hurt to leave my magazines loaded all the time? thanks for any help.

HOSSFLY 05-01-2013 01:52 AM

Leave'em loaded-

nicklarimore 05-01-2013 02:02 AM

Leaving a magazine loaded or unloaded all the time will not wear out the spring. Constantly loading it up then unloading will.

BeyondTheBox 05-01-2013 06:42 PM

Yup, as advised, Springs don't degrade by staying still, no matter if fully compressed or extended.

As for a pouch, pick one any one. Use a pocket in a vest or pant. I use a back pocket when I carry extra mag, which is rarely.

locutus 05-01-2013 10:03 PM

Look a used police pouch at a gun show. On with a velcro or snap secured cover.

danf_fl 05-02-2013 12:05 PM

Be careful on what material is used.

If you like the looks of leather, be warned that leather collects moisture and could create mag problems with rust.

old fart 05-03-2013 03:58 AM

a friend of mine today recommended not to get a mag pouch, he said i have 11rds already in the gun and the places i go that should be plenty. i live in a very rural area of kentucky, where hiking i have a greater chance to run upon bad 2 legged critters than near my home. he only recommended to take a small pouch with extra rds in it, about 10-20 only to save weight. what do you guys carry?, do you use a pouch or just carry extra ammo?. thanks

Max-Q 05-03-2013 04:36 AM

An extra mag isn't only to provide more bullets. The mag is always the weakest link in an auto loading gun. If your mag fails for some reason you'll be in a jam without a spare mag. You can have all the bullets in the world but they won't do much good in a faulty mag.

bartwatkins 05-03-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fart (Post 1234965)
a friend of mine today recommended not to get a mag pouch, he said i have 11rds already in the gun and the places i go that should be plenty. i live in a very rural area of kentucky, where hiking i have a greater chance to run upon bad 2 legged critters than near my home. he only recommended to take a small pouch with extra rds in it, about 10-20 only to save weight. what do you guys carry?, do you use a pouch or just carry extra ammo?. thanks

I think that you need to decide whether or not you want to carry any extra rounds - only you can answer that question...

But if you do decide to carry extra rounds AND your gun requires a magazine - then I would definitely carry extra loaded magazines and not simply extra loose rounds.
If you do that and are consistenly outdoors and it is hot/humid - I would look into nylon/velcro versus leather. Like maybe Uncle Mike's type mag pouch.

(also assuming that any mags carried would have been tested and reliable in said gun - Max-Q makes a good point)

KAPRAL-POLAND 05-13-2013 07:26 PM

You can look at kydex pistol mag pouch.
I saw few with straps and snap secure which looks like LEO ones...

I'm useing custom made nylon (poliester)/velcro pouches with kydex filling. When I need fast pouch I'm just fasten the velcro on the back of the pouch.
When I don't need fast pouch and secure my mags I'm just fasten it in the front of it.