Mag capacity or stopping power
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Mag capacity or stopping power

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts

Default Mag capacity or stopping power

I was just on another thread talking about the 1911. A very good firearm but not a favorite or even on my future buy list. Only because if i get into a sit which i have once before where i need many rounds to supress a target from killing me or my wife i cant depend on nine rounds. I used two 19 round mags in my Glock 17 in the mountains when some drunk teens started shooting at usbfor fun and laughing. When i started firing back they ran off after i was almost done with mag two. It make me sick to think people of this level of scum have guns but they do. I am thankful i had many rounds to get the point across even from almost sixty yards away that i wasnt playing. So how about you... More rounds or bigger bore

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

as that i have many different pistols in amny different calibers and some in the same caliber. i do have more pistols in 45 acp than any other though. i do have one high capacity 9mm which holds 17 rounds and my SA XDm40 holds 16. IMO, it's a toss-up and i feel safe with whichever pistol i am using. my 44 Mag only holds 5 rounds, but i have a buttload of speedloaders for it! the debate in capacity vs. caliber comes down to the pro's and con's of each. size comparison for CC is an issue some look at when making theese choices.

personally, i say practice what you use and depend on accurate shot placement, vs. worrying about ammo capacity or caliber choices. because doesn't matter how many rounds your pistol carries or how big a caliber it shoots, it won't mean diddly squat if you can't hit your target.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:10 AM   #3

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical View Post
I was just on another thread talking about the 1911. A very good firearm but not a favorite or even on my future buy list. Only because if i get into a sit which i have once before where i need many rounds to supress a target from killing me or my wife i cant depend on nine rounds. I used two 19 round mags in my Glock 17 in the mountains when some drunk teens started shooting at usbfor fun and laughing. When i started firing back they ran off after i was almost done with mag two. It make me sick to think people of this level of scum have guns but they do. I am thankful i had many rounds to get the point across even from almost sixty yards away that i wasnt playing. So how about you... More rounds or bigger bore
Bigger bore, more magazines.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #4

Lol how did i know bud. I can truly appriciate a large round. I myself carry a .40 as well as a 9mm but in all i cant stop myself from needing the extra rounds. Maybe it stems from the above mentioned incident that was almost a lethal use of force. Maybe its my tactical background but hear this. The first 30 seconds of conact are the most important moments. I cant be reloading or rumning out of ammo in that time. The theory or thinking that if you must pull in a sit that it will end quickly or as you planned in something i have been taught over and over. I do love the 1911 but i love it as a range weapon amd not as a hd or pdw

Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #5

Wow forgive my horrible spelling this is a new phone lol

Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #6

Liked 2502 Times on 1124 Posts
Likes Given: 2409

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAtactical View Post

Your problem isn't capacity, it's weapon and caliber choice. A glock 17 for the mountains/woods? I like my semi auto as much as the next guy but if I'm going to the wild areas, I'm carrying a big bore revolver that will reach out and touch something at 60 yards.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Your problem isn't capacity, it's weapon and caliber choice. A glock 17 for the mountains/woods? I like my semi auto as much as the next guy but if I'm going to the wild areas, I'm carrying a big bore revolver that will reach out and touch something at 60 yards.
exactly! you don't go elephant hunting with a 22lr or rat hunting with a 500 Nitro! choose the firearm suited for the job at hand. 1911 mags don't really take up a lot of room and most people will never need 25-35 rounds of ammo for a SD type situation.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #8

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

If that really happened you need a lot of practice. If someone was shooting at me even at 60 yards, after I fired 38 rounds I would have hit several people.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #9

This was a shooting trip not hunting or camping. I was only aimig to supress the kids shooting at us. Its not about my sit its more about my experienced personal choice. The difference i see when talking to a lot of shooters is that people forget about drop and energy. Im just saying more gun shots instilled more fear in this sit. If i wanted to kill i would have trust that

Old 07-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #10

Also let me point out that a bigger round isnt always better. Take combat for example. Our standard nato round is a 556 and that is very small compared to the 7.62 by 39 most threats have in our current situation. So that in mind i have a hard time seeing how i have to carry a big bore weapon. I dont care what north american animal or human it is. If i shoot it with 19 9mm rounds its going down lol. Thats my point. I never want to out rounds on a target unless hostile intent is deadly force and not a lets mess with the city folk situation

Closed Thread