Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > MAB 7.66mm (.32ACP) Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
HH7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default MAB 7.66mm (.32ACP) Question

I have a WWII MAB Cal 7.65 (.32 ACP) Model D that was given to me from my Grandfather. I went shooting without cleaning and oiling the gun and the front cap and recoil spring came off. I know that was dumb . Anyway, I am excited about the gun and have sense cleaned, oiled and it now seems to be functioning properly without firing. Is it OK to load it up with some ammo and fire it or should I be concerned. If I shouldn't fire it what should I do to get it in firing condition?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #2

Well, if you are sure the barrel bushing ("front cap") is locked in then you should be OK. These are pretty rugged and well-made pistols (one reason they remained in production for about 50 years).

If this is a Type I MAB D (the MAB D version made before mid-June, 1945), the barrel bushing is locked in place by a catch lever along the bottom of the slide. The Type II replaced this with a push-and-turn "bayonet" fitting for the barrel bushing and eliminated the catch lever. The earliest Type II pistols are technically WWII pistols, since while the war in Europe ended in May 1945, the war in the Pacific did not end until September 1945.

One thing to check is the condition of the recoil spring. If it (or the spring for the striker/firing pin) seem at all weak or questionable, new replacements can be bought for $8 a set (both springs) from Wolff Gunsprings (look under "French Semi-Automatic Pistols").

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH7 View Post
I have a WWII MAB Cal 7.65 (.32 ACP) Model D that was given to me from my Grandfather. I went shooting without cleaning and oiling the gun and the front cap and recoil spring came off. I know that was dumb . Anyway, I am excited about the gun and have sense cleaned, oiled and it now seems to be functioning properly without firing. Is it OK to load it up with some ammo and fire it or should I be concerned. If I shouldn't fire it what should I do to get it in firing condition?

Last edited by Gun_Shy; 07-15-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
HH7

Thank you for the feedback! I decided to go ahead and order the springs anyway for $8 it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and change them out.