M9a1 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M9a1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

I can't fault you for wanting an M9/92FS because a badass cop used one in a movie.

I fell in love with the 92FS after watching Lethal Weapon with Mel Gibson as a kid. I wanted one. the curves and design of the gun are so unique, nothing looks like it!

I don't like ugly guns, so to me, a gun needs to have some sex appeal in order for me to like it. might be part of the reason I don't like glocks, they're just ugly!

I mean, what good is it if you have the performance of a Viper or Vette ZR1, with the looks of a honda civic?

My first gun purchase, right when I turned 21, was a Beretta 92FS. Mine was used, most likely a police trade in. I bought it in 02, but it was originally sold in 94. I've put at least 10,000 rounds through it myself, and who knows how many by the first owners/department.

Only problem I've ever had with it was a bunch of mis-feeds when I first got it, but because it was in the middle of the 94 gun ban, I have a feeling that the gunstore kept the factory mags to sell at a premium, and gave me some junk mag to go with it. it didn't even have a name or part number stamped onto the mag. Once I picked up a few factory mags for it, I've never had a misfeed, jam, or malfunction of any kind.

As far as accuracy, the accuracy of the gun exceeds my abilities. I had a guy at the range challenge me to slide a car in half with a single shot. I took about 15 shots and was able to get the card to flutter back and forth a few times, but couldn't slice it. the guy says "mind if I try?" and he took my gun, fired about 4 shots to see where mine was shooting, then with his 5th shot he sliced the card.

I love mine and would buy another. I've used mine in a lot of IDPA/IPSC competition shooting, so the holster wear you see if from me. the finish was nearly perfect when I bought it.

and for my carry piece, I use a Beretta 96G Elite II. it's got a match grade barrel muzzle, taller/thicker mag release button, skeletonized hammer, checkered front and back straps on the grip; there's no safety, just a decocker--flip it down to decock and it pops right back up into the fire position, and it has removable front/rear sights (I've added night sights to it because of this feature. local gunsmith told me "You can't add night sights to the front of a beretta" until I showed him mine and said 'wanna bet?' lol

Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5669 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

thats sweet. always nice to see a good honest bit of wear marks. i bought some mecgar 18+2 mags got 9 total i think plus the factory 15 rounder. ordered two threaded barrels from gemtech should be here soon. one for my gun one for the wife's. prolly going to get a pair of silencerco osprey's for them.

we are consolidating our ohsht guns to match as much as possible. only need three ammo types 9mm 308 556. with 20+1 magazines that work awesome she shouldnt have any trouble if she needs to pick up my gun and use it.

i dont really use the sights much when i shoot. its all point and boom. if i need to aim basic fixed are more than good enough. but its nice to see that berreta is making dove tail fronts now.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #23

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

yea I was miffed off when I first saw the holster wear! I was using a hard plastic/kydex "uncle mikes" holster for the production class competition, between the hard plastic and the sand/dust of the dusty, windy, high colorado plains, it didn't take very long to wear off the finish. switched to a holster with felt lining, and nearly all the wear stopped progressing. Oh well. its mostly just the bit on the slide from the holster...but this wear on the barrel is NOT from holster use! haha

Yea, I was happy that my 96 has the removable front post, but I don't know if that's a feature of the "G" series, the Elite II series, or the Brigadier series! because I *THINK* you can get a 92/96G, a 92/96 Brigadier, or the Elite II which has all the features of both plus more. As I understand it, the "G" designation means that it has no safety, just a manual decocker for use after chambering a round. The Brigadier designation means the slide is thicker/wider/heavier than a standard slide, and of course, the Elite and Elite II is just their factory version of a "tricked out custom" gun.

regardless...I like it!

I hear you on just pointing and shooting as well. If I need to aim, then my target must be far enough away that I should probably be using a rifle. I was at one competition and in the middle of a string of fire (using my Kimber 1911) all I knew was that something "bad" just happened...maybe "bad" is not a good word, I knew my weapon was still safe to operate, but I could just tell that something was different, something didn't feel right, but I was so focused on the stage and getting a good time, I just kept shooting. When it was all over, the RO/SO called me safe/clear after going through all those steps, before I went to holster the weapon, I took a look at it, and that's when I saw it.

my rear adjustable sight had come apart and fell off the slide (it was an aftermarket replacement piece not the factory Kimber piece). Despite having lost my rear sight, I still managed to hit all my targets center mass and took no penalties, even on targets out to 30 yards.

Out of about 130 shooters in that competition, I managed to come in around 15th place, which was good enough to score myself a Remmington 870 12 ga "home defender" shotgun

Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5669 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

i had that epiphany of letting go of the sights about two years ago when the rear sight fell off my springfield 1911A1 and i said what the hell just keep going. ended up shooting some of the best groups ive ever shot. i focused at that point on technique and something clicked and ive ever since just did the point and hit thing.

now when i concentrate on the sights i can get super tight shot groups compaired to what i used to do.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...