Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M9a1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

Maybe a bayonet or a magazine holder... heh.

Nothing i dont like rails on handguns. If could have got that exact model sans rail i would have. Adding junk to a pistol makes it slower
Funny, I wanted one with a rail (for a light) but they didn't have one when I bought mine few months ago, hence no rail for me.

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 12-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #12

Liked 4450 Times on 2348 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post
Funny, I wanted one with a rail (for a light) but they didn't have one when I bought mine few months ago, hence no rail for me.
Seems to be the way it goes at times. The rail doesnt seem as intrusive as some other railed guns like the new colt 1911 rail guns. I wouldnt take one of those unless it got a shave.

The main reasons i dont put lights on a gun is because it changes the center of balance and its bad form to point a loaded gun at a friend or loved one to check injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
When discussing the original service pistols, remember that the 1911 went through several improvements and the 1911A1 came out. The M1 Garand was product improved several times before going into combat.

Very few service weapons are perfect for the hard service they will receive in first issue.
This is true. The original first issue m9 was junk and even today you couldnt pay me to put one in my safe. The issues *seem* to be fixed. The early versions of most things issued always seem to be problematic. The first version of the m249 saw was pretty damn crappy and would only function reliably with magazines from an m16. It was extremely finnicky running from a belted ammo source.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #13

Liked 171 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Like it! I have a 92fs and love mine! The newer ones are much better than the ones from the 80's.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
. The first version of the m249 saw was pretty damn crappy and would only function reliably with magazines from an m16. It was extremely finnicky running from a belted ammo source.
I think my SAW was built in the early 90's. It was my sexy goddess. The receiver had seen so much cleaning that it looked chrome. It made my tongue flop out every time I looked at her. Out of nearly continuous 4 years, I had not. One. Single. Failure. I kissed it on many occasions. One time in particular, after a nice little scrape in Afghanistan, I lit a cigarette on the barrel, then kissed the receiver.

I was madly in love with that deadly vixen.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I think my SAW was built in the early 90's. It was my sexy goddess. The receiver had seen so much cleaning that it looked chrome. It made my tongue flop out every time I looked at her. Out of nearly continuous 4 years, I had not. One. Single. Failure. I kissed it on many occasions. One time in particular, after a nice little scrape in Afghanistan, I lit a cigarette on the barrel, then kissed the receiver.

I was madly in love with that deadly vixen.
They all got updated feed tray covers shortly after the initial deployment. It was a design error that only cropped up when actual troops started using em outside a test facility in typical nonstandard ways like putting em on vehicles and driving over bouncy roads. Or using them without the green drums. Once they got fixed ours ran fine after that. Still kept my m60. My thinking was if i gotta carry a pig of a gun might as well have the hitting power to go with it. Half our m60 got replaced with saws

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-19-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #16

How much m60 ammo could you carry? I would've preferred a heavier hitting gun myself, but being capable of packing over 2k rounds in my patrol pack made a world of difference. Then my A-gunner carried an additional 600, and after a few scrapes that were pretty intense, it became SOP for my squad for everyone to carry a box.

Between my whole squad...
Each saw gunner (2) had a minimum of 2K (I carried one extra box because I could) Each A-gunner (2) had 600, with 1K spread loaded among the other 5 in the squad.

7,300 rounds of linked 5.56 that could readily be brought to bear on any ass hole. And more than once, we used it all. good times.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #17

I coulda probably fitted 10k or more in my hmmvw if i tossed out everyone else's the snivel gear...

Weight isnt a real issue for mounted troops

Old 12-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #18

Mounted? Hell, there would be no question if I was mounted. I'd be rocking a .50.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #19

Believe me i TRIED to get them to issue 50cals to my mp unit!!!

Old 12-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #20

Liked 635 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 385

I've always been a Beretta fan. 1st handgun I bought. It was the FS model, and it was a nice gun. I regret selling it. Recently, I bought another, the 96A1. Also recently, I have become annoyed with Beretta. Seems like they roll out a new gun, and then either it doesn't work, or they don't support it. Nano, tons of complaints about functioning. CX4, 40 & 45 versions not supported with the hi cap mags everyone wants. Certain parts hard to come by at times.
BUT, the CX4 & the 96 share mags, and thats handy, and cool.