Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M9 or glock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 04:09 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 843 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
My personal vote? Beretta!

however, I've shot a lot of rounds out both, and to counter the point of "why do you think the military uses Beretta?" --Why do you think so many police agencies use the glock?
Let me answer those questions.

The military selected the Beretta over the SiG because the Beretta was a little cheaper and we got to place missiles and other hardware in Italy.

Police agencies use Glocks because it's hard to find easier semi-automatic pistols to teach new officer cadets to use with a modicum of proficiency. The low cost, availability of low cost replacement parts and accessories, and the testing and scrutiny that the Glock design has been subjected to don't hurt, either.

Quote:
both weapon platforms are accurate, reliable, and fairly cheap. I don't think that with either one, you'll find yourself at the range wishing you had the other.

go to the store and handle both of them, find out which ones feels best in your grip, actually pick a point on the wall and take a sight picture, feel the difference in the angle of the grip in relation to the barrel/sights. field strip each weapon to see if either one gives you an issue.
I prefer the Glock 17 with a 5" (factory extended or threaded) barrel over the M9. The Glock holds more cartridges, is lighter, costs less, has more aftermarket accessories made for it, and generally just works.

The Beretta is usable pistol, but I don't like hammers or external safety levers on weapons that I am trusting my life to.

Quote:
I've never had to physically hold the recoil spring and guide rod down while assembling a Beretta, and I've never had it shoot across the room. the sound of the decocker as it drops the hammer after chambering a round? it's about the same as snapping the hammer on an empty chamber
Ease or difficulty of disassembly has never been a motivating factor for me in the purchase of something I'd bet my life on, but the disassembly of the Glock is pretty easy.

I did not find M9's to be difficult to assemble/disassemble or clean. As the M9 is a hammer fired gun versus striker fired, I rather liked the decocking feature and could care less if it makes a little noise. If you're going to decock your weapon, wouldn't that pretty much mean that there was no longer an immediate threat?