M&P9 Pro Series
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P9 Pro Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default M&P9 Pro Series

I think I'm in love. We went down to Cabela's to finally get my brother a gun, he was considering the Beretta 92 and either XD or XDm in 9mm, and ended up going with the XDm 4.5", because he got the whole kit for $580, quite a steal.

Anyway, while we were there, the sales guy pulled out the M&P9 Pro, as a possible alternative, and we all got a chance to hold it. Ho-lee crap. This gun feels like it was made for my hand. Up until now I've been planning on picking up a Ruger GP100 for my next purchase, but I think I'm going to go with this instead, unless someone comes in and tells me it's terrible for some reason.

So, does anyone own one of these, pro series or not? What's your opinion of it? I'm not planning to carry concealed, as it's illegal for me to do so on a college campus, where I'm going to be for the next several years of my life, so the size is not much of a consideration. I want something that'll be good on the range, and possibly have some home-defense applications later on.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #2

Default Excellent guns!

I just bought a Smith M&P9C compact 9mm. I went to the gun shop to buy a Glock as I knew what I'd be getting and have owned several in the past. However, once I put the M&P in my hand, it was a done-deal.

I've been testing the gun ever since in preparation for an article on it I'll be writing in next month's HuntX3 Magazine. I'm wholeheartedly impressed with the M&P. It shoots very well, breaks down ridiculously easy, has a nice, smooth trigger pull that breaks very clean (at least mine does), and the lifetime service thing doesn't exactly hurt either.

I'm very pleased with my purchase and I think you will be too if you decide to go that way.

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 01-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I own one of the regular 9mm M&Ps and like it very much. Initially I bought it as a home defense gun that was simple enough for my girlfriend to operate easily, but I ended up carrying it a lot.

The polymer and stainless steel combination is great for the tropical weather down here.

It hits where I aim, I never had a single FTF or FTE in over 1,5K rounds with different ammo types. What else can I ask for?

I don't like it aesthetically, never will (I'm an old fashioned revolver guy!), but it sure works well. The trigger took some getting used to, but that's just because I was shooting my wheelguns and 1911s a lot and had never tried one of these (or a Glock) before.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

The Pro is an awseome 9mm. I'm just a little pissed with S&W for not offering the 45 in a pro.

My buddy has the Pro, and has had ejector issues with it since new. Sent it in, they repaired the ejector issue and replaced the front site. Turn around was about 2 weeks.

I've used it to shoot SSP in IDPA and spanked everyone(I usually shoot SSP with my G20). Its a fiber optic front sight, and the green post fell out of the front sight right before I used it. Helped me realize I do not use my sights in IDPA, its point and click for me.

Great gun, feels great, sweet trigger, smooth cycle. I think the cheapest we've found the is 640 at budsgunshop.com.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-02-2010, 02:16 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have an M&P Pro that I have run 2k-3k rounds through. I have had zero problems with it, and it's little brother for that matter. Two friends who owned the 4.25" 9mm M&P went out and bought a Pro after shooting my Pro. The trigger alone is worth the additional cost for the Pro.
[IMG][/IMG]

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #6

I'm with Josh. I carried a XDm in .40 cal for a year. OK gun, but I felt it was too big for CC. About three months ago I bought a M&P9c. Mine came with three mags, 2 extended and 1 flush, and night sights. I used the large palm insert for my long fingers to fit the trigger better, and it is Heaven to shoot. It's more accurate than I am, and it has fed and fired everything I've put in it (handloads and factory). In my mind the best gun out there for the purpose it's being used for.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

All S&W M&P's 9mm. .40 and .45 are all very reliable, functional and accurate shooting handguns. I have never had an issue with my .45 in function and feeding, and nether has any one I shoot with, civilian, LEO and military shooters.

All are very satisfied and many carry them as their choice CC. They rate very highly in my stable, right along with my 1911's......all of which I still wished I possessed, damn that FTF Picnic boating accident.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #8

I've had my M&P 9 for about 5 months now and have been using it for IDPA. I have to say, it is a fantastic gun. No problems at all. I've had an XD and a Glock 17 and I wouldn't go back to either one after shooting the M&P. I've looked at the Pro and might eventually pick one up because of the longer sight picture and the sites, but for now, I'm saving up for my AR. Priorities..

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Old 01-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #9

I have the 9mm compact and the 45 with with night sites & 3 mags. Could have bought what ever I wanted to. After looking at, holding and shooting a lot od different handguns I went with the M&Ps. Love them. No problems.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the info, all. Cabela's is now holding one for me, and I'll be making the drive to purchase it, $650, within five days.