Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P40c or SR40C?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default M&P40c or SR40C?

Looking to buy a new EDC candidate in .40S. Was at the LGS the other day looking at these two, and am curious about the pros and coins of them. Right now the MP is on sale for $40 more than the SR, so price isn't going to be a deal breaker.

I had asked the kid behind the counter what has heard about them, and he just spouted off features. He did say something about the Ruger's reassembly having some sort of trick to it though. I don't want something you have to hold your tongue just right while standing on your head and facing towards a specific compass point to put it back together every time I clean it.

Any experiences with these?

Last edited by Cutlass327; 09-04-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I can't say anything personal about the M&P, but haven't heard anything negative about em. I have had a SR40c since they came out and love that pistol! I did have some light strikes but took the magazine disconnect out and no issues since. Great ergonomics for sure and would own another in a second. Reassembly is super easy; not sure what the kid is thinking. Even taking the firing pin assembly out is a breeze once you know how to do it.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Dunno, but he was saying something about reaching a finger in the mag well to hold something there while assembling or whatever...

I do know that I am more on the Ruger side just because the S&W seems to have a history of recalls and such. Also heard that S&W has never had a good reputation with autos as compared to their reputation with revolvers.

Thanks for the reply, as this helps me feel better about the Ruger. I liked it better - trigger was easier, overall weight was lighter, and it looked better (no big ugly safety lever on the side).

Anyone else?

Old 09-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327
Dunno, but he was saying something about reaching a finger in the mag well to hold something there while assembling or whatever...

I do know that I am more on the Ruger side just because the S&W seems to have a history of recalls and such. Also heard that S&W has never had a good reputation with autos as compared to their reputation with revolvers.

Thanks for the reply, as this helps me feel better about the Ruger. I liked it better - trigger was easier, overall weight was lighter, and it looked better (no big ugly safety lever on the side).

Anyone else?
Hold on don't go writing off S&W autos. I own an M&P9c and my wife owns the full size. They're terrific guns.

In our models, and this isn't necessary in every model, you have to lower the sear level inside the chamber so that you don't have to pull the trigger during disassembly. It's easy to do. It's just an added "safety feature." It doesn't bother me one way or the other.

There is only a recall going on in Shields, by the way. Not on regular M&Ps. And the recall is just because the gun is relatively new. That's very common on new guns coming out. There's also one on the XDs. It's a pretty common thing and in no way should deter you from a specific handgun. Plus, S&W has a lifetime warranty on all their guns. So anything that might come up in the future will be fixed if you just send it to them.

I love my M&Ps. I have no experience with the Ruger for comparison, though. A lot of people hate the M&P triggers. But I will say it is much nicer when actually firing he gun vs dry firing.

Ad by the way, really only the Sigma series wasn't much to write home about. All heir other semis are good quality.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #5

Liked 110 Times on 82 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post

Anyone else?
That's funny I heard the same thing about rugers track record of their revolvers vs. Semis. Can't always listen to peoples bashing of firearms dude. I have an m&p 9 and sr45 and love both. Stock trigger is gonna be better on the sr imho. These companies started off making revolvers so I guess that would make since as they are a more simple design. If you want a gun from a company that specializes in semi auto only look at glock, sig, hk and so on......

Old 09-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #6

Liked 209 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Cutlass Buy the one that feels best to you. Both could have issues or run trouble free for ever, well with spring changes once in a while. I like the looks of the ruger but like shooting the m&p better. Wife has a m&p9c that has a apex trigger kit in and all I can stay is man its a shooter. Rugers are not so easy to upgrade if wanted and the newest M&P have some trigger improvements it seems to please folks for this years model so pay attention when handleing them. The regular M&P sell for 470 here ruger 25 bucks cheaper lgs price. You can get the M&P with a safety or with out too.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327

Anyone else?
Smith &Wesson M&P line of pistols are high quality semi-auto unlike some of the regular Smith & Wesson semi autos. I've had zero issues with my M&P. As far as the "big ugly safety lever"? My M&P9c has NO safety. You can buy M&Ps with or without a safety. I really like the Ruger SR9 and SR40 but all the safety features they Come with is overkill.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1755 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 348

I have the Ruger sr40, love this pistola! eats anything I feed it, accurate as can be.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have the SR9c but its basically identical to the .40. I think you will like the feel and trigger pull better on the Ruger.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #10

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Glock 23. That is all.