Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P40c Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M&P40c Problems

Hey all,
I just got a Smith and Wesson M&P-40c a couple of weeks ago. Every time I shoot it the slide will lock back when there are still rounds left in the magazine. I have tried different backstraps, different grip placement, and different ammo and I still seem to have the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem too? What do you all think it might be that is causing this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-20-2009, 02:23 AM   #2

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by etniexd View Post
Hey all,
I just got a Smith and Wesson M&P-40c a couple of weeks ago. Every time I shoot it the slide will lock back when there are still rounds left in the magazine. I have tried different backstraps, different grip placement, and different ammo and I still seem to have the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem too? What do you all think it might be that is causing this?
The mag??? Just thinkin'.

Hop over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-20-2009, 02:37 AM   #3

thats what I was thinking but it does it on both mags that came with it. It doesn't do it a lot just enough to piss me off sometimes. If I rack the slide it goes forward into battery and everything is fine, but I don't want that to happen when SHTF.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:38 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Contact S&W that is not normal/expected. Did you buy it new or used? Might be a cleaning issue or mag modification if used. Let us know what you discover after contacting S&W.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 12-20-2009 at 03:42 AM.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by etniexd View Post
thats what I was thinking but it does it on both mags that came with it. It doesn't do it a lot just enough to piss me off sometimes. If I rack the slide it goes forward into battery and everything is fine, but I don't want that to happen when SHTF.
Please take the time to express the issue properly. Your first post stated it happens every time. This post states "It doesn't do it a lot just enough to piss me off". It's hard to help with varied information. Best I can express is you need to strip and clean your firearm.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #6

I'm betting you're bumping the slide lock.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
I'm betting you're bumping the slide lock.

+1

Indeed, that exact same slide action will happen as you described, if you hit the slide lock while shooting.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+2
From your post you said you tried different grip placement, do you shoot with a two handed wrap around with thumb over thumb? If you do you may be pushing up on the slide lock/release and not even realize it just like SeanCucf and IGETEVEN said.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

A very common problem with semi-auto pistols. The support hand thumb pushes up on the slide stop. Often times it happens with only a couple of rounds left in the mag because;
1. The gun is lighter with a partial mag. Recoil increases as the mag empties. It is jumping around more.
2. Many people adjust their grip after each or a few shots. If you are careful about your grip initially, that may change each time you adjust.

Field strip the gun and check the slide stop. It should have a return spring that keeps it down. Lift itand let the spring pull it down. Turn the slide upside down and see if the slide stop flops around. If it does, you may have a broken or missing spring.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #10

Wow, this is probably the first time I have ever heard of a problem w/ the M&P series.
I own a M&P .40c, it's one of my most enjoyable guns to shoot. I carry it daily.

etniexd, I hope you get this resolved soon and I also hope it's only a minor problem causing it. You have gotten good help/advice from the above members. Hope you're able to enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Good Luck!!