Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   M&P40c Problems (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/m-p40c-problems-21293/)

etniexd 12-20-2009 02:17 AM

M&P40c Problems

Hey all,
I just got a Smith and Wesson M&P-40c a couple of weeks ago. Every time I shoot it the slide will lock back when there are still rounds left in the magazine. I have tried different backstraps, different grip placement, and different ammo and I still seem to have the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem too? What do you all think it might be that is causing this?

canebrake 12-20-2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etniexd (Post 201946)
Hey all,
I just got a Smith and Wesson M&P-40c a couple of weeks ago. Every time I shoot it the slide will lock back when there are still rounds left in the magazine. I have tried different backstraps, different grip placement, and different ammo and I still seem to have the problem.

Has anyone else had this problem too? What do you all think it might be that is causing this?

The mag??? Just thinkin'.

Hop over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about you.

etniexd 12-20-2009 02:37 AM

thats what I was thinking but it does it on both mags that came with it. It doesn't do it a lot just enough to piss me off sometimes. If I rack the slide it goes forward into battery and everything is fine, but I don't want that to happen when SHTF.

WDB 12-20-2009 03:38 AM

Contact S&W that is not normal/expected. Did you buy it new or used? Might be a cleaning issue or mag modification if used. Let us know what you discover after contacting S&W.

WDB 12-20-2009 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etniexd (Post 201959)
thats what I was thinking but it does it on both mags that came with it. It doesn't do it a lot just enough to piss me off sometimes. If I rack the slide it goes forward into battery and everything is fine, but I don't want that to happen when SHTF.

Please take the time to express the issue properly. Your first post stated it happens every time. This post states "It doesn't do it a lot just enough to piss me off". It's hard to help with varied information. Best I can express is you need to strip and clean your firearm.

SeanCucf 12-22-2009 03:23 PM

I'm betting you're bumping the slide lock.

IGETEVEN 12-22-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanCucf (Post 203054)
I'm betting you're bumping the slide lock.

+1

Indeed, that exact same slide action will happen as you described, if you hit the slide lock while shooting. ;)

Jack

Dzscubie 12-22-2009 04:41 PM

+2
From your post you said you tried different grip placement, do you shoot with a two handed wrap around with thumb over thumb? If you do you may be pushing up on the slide lock/release and not even realize it just like SeanCucf and IGETEVEN said.

robocop10mm 12-22-2009 05:18 PM

A very common problem with semi-auto pistols. The support hand thumb pushes up on the slide stop. Often times it happens with only a couple of rounds left in the mag because;
1. The gun is lighter with a partial mag. Recoil increases as the mag empties. It is jumping around more.
2. Many people adjust their grip after each or a few shots. If you are careful about your grip initially, that may change each time you adjust.

Field strip the gun and check the slide stop. It should have a return spring that keeps it down. Lift itand let the spring pull it down. Turn the slide upside down and see if the slide stop flops around. If it does, you may have a broken or missing spring.

UnderFire 12-22-2009 11:17 PM

Wow, this is probably the first time I have ever heard of a problem w/ the M&P series.
I own a M&P .40c, it's one of my most enjoyable guns to shoot. I carry it daily.

etniexd, I hope you get this resolved soon and I also hope it's only a minor problem causing it. You have gotten good help/advice from the above members. Hope you're able to enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. Good Luck!!