Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P40 Help Please...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default M&P40 Help Please...

So I finally got my first pistol, a S&W M&P40.

I'll be headed to the range tomorrow but I don't know if there is anything I should do before shooting the gun for the first time. Does it need to be oiled or anything? Also what about cleaning it after I'm done?

I'm not a novice shooter, just a noob owner.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 07-05-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Everything he said about the M&P, except the Glock information. You can file that Glock intell in case you change your mind about the M&P, but most unlikely.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-05-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolaccents.com View Post
Well when I purchase a new gun. I always field strip it and clean it. Then oil it as per factory spec. Of course practice safe firearm handling. Make sure the Gun is empty. The MP has a disconnect lever you need to disengage , the tool is inside the handle. The MP is a great gun I have a MP9 but I do have 3 glocks that I prefer to shoot. I also carry my G27 or G30sf depending on what i am wearing. After shooting again make sure the Gun is empty. Field strip it , clean it , oil it and assemble. All good !!!

Have fun and congrats on your new purchase

Cool, thanks man. Just curious why specifically you prefer to shoot the Glocks?

My father in law has a Glock 40 (I think the G23?) so I'll be able to shoot them side by side.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:22 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

First, great choice in your first handgun. It was my first handgun also. Its now my daily carry.

I would make yourself very familiar in the mechanics of it so your not fumbling with it at the range. Clean it and oil it according to the manual. Have fun at the range - of course follow the four rules of firearms and your range's rules. Once you get home, clean it and oil it according to the manual.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #5

Smith&Wesson's M&P series are great firearms. I own a .40c model.
The break-down and assembly is so simple, I love it. You've already got the best advice on the pre-range trip. I agree with the above advice totally.
It always cracks me up when I see someone buy a new firearm and ask to go on the range with it right after purchase.

Anyway, lets get down to some serious stuff....
are you planning on going to the range with your two cute friends!!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
It always cracks me up when I see someone buy a new firearm and ask to go on the range with it right after purchase.

Anyway, lets get down to some serious stuff....
are you planning on going to the range with your two cute friends!!
Why do you need to clean and lube a NEW gun before shooting it? It does not come from the factory ready to go?

LOL...would be nice to go to the range with the cuties the avatar, but they are just some random internet babes.

I posted a range report in the RR Forum.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho View Post
Why do you need to clean and lube a NEW gun before shooting it? It does not come from the factory ready to go?
For one thing, the gun has been tested at the mfg, before being packaged, so the barrel has some fragment remnants left behind that need to be cleaned out. Another thing the mfg. doesn't know if the firearm is going to sit in some warehouse somewhere waiting to be used or if it's going to be sold & used right away, so the machined parts are covered with a heavy oil even grease like. If someone starts to use their new firearm without removing this grease like material it can start to melt during use at the local range causing problems such as; excessive heat, chambering malfunctions, etc.

It's always best to clean a new firearm thoroughly before use. Some mfg's suggest cleaning before use and also after the first 250 rounds have been ran through it before continuing with more rounds.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's already been expressed but a feild strip and clean is a good idea more than cleaning what is already a clean firearm (pistols are cleaned by S&W after the test fire round). It will help you get familar with the mechanics of the pistol and improves your confidance. I clean my firearms after every trip to the range, it's a good time to look for wear and a well cleaned firearm preforms better.

Let us know how your first outting goes and what you think of the pistol. I own a couple M&P's and truly like them.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:42 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

OK thanks man. I knew it should be done but just didn't know the exact reasons.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Let us know how your first outting goes and what you think of the pistol. I own a couple M&P's and truly like them.
reread his last post...
Quote:
I posted a range report in the RR Forum.