M&P vs. XDM - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P vs. XDM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #11
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by field View Post
im sorry guys but is there some magic place where i can go and shoot any gun i want or something to sample them? where do you guys do such things
Check your local area and then if you can't find anything close expand your search for a range that rents the pistols you are intrested in. An hour or two drive to get hands on with a firearm that you might use to protect you and yours is a small investment. I have purchased some pistols based on good advice and discovered they don't fit me well, it's still a great pistol just not for me.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:33 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm in a similar position re looking for a competition handgun...currently using the club's HK which is very solid (ought to be @ 1300 bucks lol) even though slightly large to me since I have embarassingly small hands Hope to at least get to hold a few different brands before I make the decision. But I can't go to a range (there is ONE indoor place I found in Sydney) and try out anything for a year, until I'm off my probationary licence. Not that it matters much anyway I guess since I can't purchase until then...

Good luck with your search, Field...with all the choices it's kinda 'kid in a toy shop' time isn't it?

Old 08-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #13

From what I've read, if you are considering competing like in IDPA, you should get a 9mm instead of a 40. I don't know much on the rules except for posts on other forums. From those ,I gather you would be at a disadvantange in the Production division (where most start) as everything is considered "minor" power. Thus, those shooting 9mm can shoot faster and more accurate due to less recoil. To shoot "major" (against others with .40 and .45 cal) you have to be in Limited division where you would be competing with most who have guns in the $2k to $3k+ range; again disadvantaged.

Again don't take this as gospel; ask around or do some googling for more info.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:56 AM   #14

Default Xdm

I would buy the xdm if I were you. I have been lusting over one for a while now. M&P's are awesome as well from what I hear, but the xdm appeals to me more. The capacity and the match grade barrel is a good combo.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #15

Default M&P vs XDM

I have always been a S&W fan, but today I traded my M&P on an XDM after range time. I shot a new xd sub compact 9mm, and out of the box the first 5 shot group was 3", which impressed me. I also fired my XD 45 and shot 8 rounds with 5 hitting in a 3" group and the other 3 still holding inside 4". I then fired my M&P 40 and the first 3 shots I could not hold in a 9 inch circle, but later got a little tighter at 4" grouping, but I also had 2 stove pipes. This is the fourth time I had the gun out and had similar results. I'm not saying all M&P's have this problem but I sure did. On the way home I traded the M&P on an XDM 40. I will be back at the range next week hoping for some tighter groups 3" minus I hope.

Bulldog

Old 07-01-2010, 07:57 PM   #16

I have shot the XDM .40 and I love it. Reliable and accurate, fun to shoot as well. I've never shot the M&P so I can't say.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
TOF

In the long run ammo is going to cost you much more than your pistol.
If you purchase an M&P (my preference) and don't like it you can sell/trade and get an XD. The switch will cost the price of a few boxes of ammo but you will end up with what you want.

I owned an XD9 service and XD40 Tactical for around 1 year and 5000 rounds. I have since owned an M&P9, 40 and 45 for a combined 30,000 plus rounds.

I still have M&P's but no XD's. Both are good guns but the M&P's are better IMHO.

The M&P may start with a slightly rough trigger takeup but will smooth out fairly fast. If you don't wish to wait, APEX Tactical has an immediate fix for the trigger that will cost less than the ammo necessary to wear the sear and drop safety plunger smooth.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.