M&P/Sigma Forum - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P/Sigma Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Count me in. Here's my pile o' M&P's. From top left going clockwise are my 9FS, 9DFE, 9C, then my 40FS, 40DFE, 40C, then 357FS and 357C, then 45C, 45DFE, 45FS.

img_0686.jpg  

Last edited by dallascj; 02-09-2012 at 01:00 AM.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #72

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallascj
Count me in. Here's my pile o' M&P's. From top left going clockwise are my 9FS, 9DFE, 9C, then my 40FS, 40DFE, 40C, then 357FS and 357C, then 45C, 45DFE, 45FS.
YOU sir, have a PROBLEM. One I wish that I had...

Old 02-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #73
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I going to go out on a limb here I think you like the M&P or am I way off base?

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 02-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #74

Great looking Pile of M&P! I made the mistake of watching Magpul's Art of the Dynamic Handgun (which is a fantastic series btw. If you haven't watched it, it is well worth owning) and both instructors (Haley and Costa) were using the M&P9 and I just simply loved the look of the gun. I'm a huge fan of Glock and own several but after watching that several times and then actually researching and then finally holding one, I was simply hooked. I picked up the M&P9 Pro 4.25" version with the night sites and I've actually gotten rid of all but 1 Glock 9mm and that is my Gen4 G26. I would alternate shooting and carrying that with my beloved Glock 21 and even shot some IDPA with it and it got me so hooked that I traded my Glock 17 for an older M&P45 with the thumb safety. I never thought another gun would take the place of my G21 but that M&P45 did. It's now my primary carry and IDPA gun and I couldn't be happier.

I will say that initially I wasn't sure about the M&P because I actually had some issues with both. My M&P9's slide would get surface rust just from setting the holster while I was carrying it. That really killed me because I loved the gun. It was sent to Smith twice and they replaced the slide both times and it may have just been a bad batch. I've also switched holsters and haven't had that problem since then. The M&P45 I got was actually my first big 'gun odyssey' where I traded for it and when it came time to try it out it jammed...and jammed and jammed and jammed. It simply could not go 2 consecutive rounds without a failure to feed. The gun would simply lock up with the round about halfway into battery. I tried everything including working on the mags, polished the feed ramp, completely stripped and cleaned every last bit of everything on the gun and it would still jam. Finally my father-in-law, who has far more patience that I do, noticed some brass markings on the side of the slide and suggested just touching a few sharp edges of the gun with some fine sandpaper. I worked a bit on the extractor and found an incredible bur on it. I massaged that for a few minutes with some 400 grit...and now it is as reliable as any other firearm I own. I can't believe that bur would bite into the brass so badly that it would completely lock up a gun but it did. Now I have a fantastic weapon and it is my constant companion; I honestly feel like my search for the right pistol is over, now I just need to buy all the M&P autos I can!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #75

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. Yes, I am a huge M&P fan, but do still own several Glocks.

Dawg,
That's an interesting problem you had with your 45. My 45C's mark my brass up pretty bad, so I may have a similar issue but I've never had a jam or feed issue with them.

All my M&P's have pretty good stock triggers except my 45's. For the 45's, I've installed the Apex DCAEK in my compacts and have one for my full-size that I have yet to install. The M&P platform is the first gun I've tinkered with and have really liked working on them. I will eventually change out the factory sights on all of them as I am not a huge fan of 3-dot sights.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #76

I think that bur on the extractor is why the guy traded it. I should be mad because he never mentioned that the gun had issues of any kind. However the joke is on him since I ended up with a better gun for me in the end. I've wanted to email him and let him know that I found the problem and what caused it and how I fixed it to sort of rub it in but I'll take my new gun and the high road and chalk it up to experience. I'll try to post some M&P pics later on.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 02-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #77

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Anybody have the M&P22? I want a .22 semi, but I don't know if it would be better to go M&P or SR.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 AM   #78

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Anybody have the M&P22? I want a .22 semi, but I don't know if it would be better to go M&P or SR.
Can't go wrong with either.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #79

Just was at the range yesterday for the second time EVER and shot the Ruger P89 & S&W M&P 9. Thought the Ruger was good but LOVED the SW. So I have had the SW MP .40 beat the Glock 19 first time I ever went out and now the SW beat the Ruger. I still WANT to buy the Glock 17 but need to compare head to head agains the SW 9.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum27 View Post
Just was at the range yesterday for the second time EVER and shot the Ruger P89 & S&W M&P 9. Thought the Ruger was good but LOVED the SW. So I have had the SW MP .40 beat the Glock 19 first time I ever went out and now the SW beat the Ruger. I still WANT to buy the Glock 17 but need to compare head to head agains the SW 9.
You can't really go wrong with either the G17 or the M&P9. I've owned both and shot both and carried both. The biggest issue for me was that the G17 just didn't fit my hand and it had nothing to do with the grip angle or shape believe it or not. it wouldn't happen with my Glock 21 but on the 26,19,17,22 etc that I owned the slide would saw across the webbing of my hand and cut me up. The lack of a more pronounced tang or beavertail like on the M&P autos is what was getting me. I try to get such an aggressive grip and get up as high as possible it would force the webbing of my gun hand up into the line of the slide. As soon as I picked up and handled an M&P9 I knew it was the gun for me. I think the Glock trigger is better out of the box but I can post just as quick times with my Glock 21 as I can my stock M&P45 in IDPA and have found myself to be a tad bit more accurate with the Smith.

It really is, for probably the first time, a case of what fits you best between the Glock and the Smith. Both have very low bores so the gun is very controllable, the Glock has set a standard of reliability and ease of use and the M&P isn't that far behind it. The Glock has the edge is aftermarket stuff but if you know where to look you can snag mags, holsters and other stuff for the Smith just as easily as you can for the Glock. In true gun owner fashion, I'd say get both!