M&P question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M&P question

I recently traded my un-loved Walther/S&W P990 in on a M&P 40. As I was looking it over I noticed the magazines say "40 S&W .357" I've always been interested in the .357 SIG round, but didn't want to purchase a firearm chambered in it due to it's relative scarcity. I know the 40 and .357 SIG share the same case diameter and I've been told that I can just purchase a .357 SIG barrel for the M&P and have a "conversion" I just wonder if anyone can confirm this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I believe that is all there is to it.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
- Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAMISON View Post
wow. i didn't finish. and i want that time i just wasted back. I was hoping for at least a pic of Bea Arthur in her undies .

Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Yes. The .357 Sig is essentially a necked down .40 S&W (slightly longer case). The Sig round is basically a supercharged 9mm. Texas DPS seems to be happy with it. With the Gold Dot 125 gr bullet it will shoot through automotive parts like doors and "A" pillars and carry enough energy to the target to disable it.

It does tend to over penetrate unprotected targets.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, all you need is a .357 sig barrel. You can even get a 9mm conversion barrel for the 40 Of course that would require 9mm mags.

Smith & Wesson Barrel S&W M&P 357 Sig 4-1/4" - MidwayUSA

Storm Lake Conversion Barrel Smith and Wesson M&P 40 S&W to 9mm Luger 1 in 16" Twist 4.25" Stainless Steel - MidwayUSA

Smith & Wesson Magazine S&W M&P 9mm Luger 17-Round Steel Blue - MidwayUSA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #5

Thanks, all

I was fairly sure, but I didn't want to end up with a $160 useless barrel. I just took this gun to the range and I must say I think it's my new favorite piece. It's accurate, controllable and enough capacity that shooting is more fun than chore. I can't wait to try some .357 SIG rounds.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:27 AM   #6

You're going to love the. 357 I bought a m&p .357 and it came with the. 40 cal barrel, and 3 mags. I shoot the. 357 sig more !

Happy shooting :) !

Old 08-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just acquired an M&P 40c myself last week and it is my fav of any guns i've owned. Nice and compact and very accurate and reliable so far. Now I see you can just swap a 357sig barrel in and am ecstatic. Like 2 guns in one.