M&P customer service disappointing
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P customer service disappointing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 30 Posts

Default M&P customer service disappointing

As many of you know, the M&P Shield has possible defect with the trigger. I checked mine, and it works fine.
My problem here is, even though I registered my gun with S&W for the warranty and therefore they have my contact information, they made no effort to contact me regarding this possible and very dangerous issue. I wrote an e-mail to S&W telling them I was disappointed that they made no effort to contact me and their response was "Dear customer, all safety alerts are sent to dealers and posted on our website. If further assistance is required, please respond accordingly."
I responded that if an automaker has a serious defect they make an effort to contact the affected people. That S&W could also make an effort to try to warn people and that it is irresponsible to not do so. (I did not even find out about the problem on their website and the dealer did not contact me or have any notifications posted in their store, I found out about it on this forum.) I wrote that their response seemed to be a brush off and their offer of further assistance was laughable.
Their response was "Dealers are to notify the buyers as they have all the paperwork for the folks that purchased. If further assistance is required, please respond accordingly"
My response was;
So you have my personal information and are aware that I purchased a possibly defective firearm, but apparently passing the buck is your way to do business. I get it now.
Please do not respond "if further assistance is required". Do not respond at all. You actually need to assist somebody in the first place before you offer "further assistance".

That was a week ago and they have not responded.
Even though I asked them not respond, you would think that they would not want to leave an obviously upset customer feeling that way about their company.

Anyway, I just felt the need to vent and let others know about this. I feel that the best course would be for S&W to step up and have a better sense of corporate responsibility.
I also wonder what this forum thinks. Should gun manufacturers and/or dealers (I have yet to take up this issue with the dealer where I purchased this gun) be required to notify the customer in such circumstances? I feel VERY hesitant to ever ask for more government regulation, but sometimes I wonder....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

if it's done like vehicles, only the vehicles within a certain VIN number range ae usually affected and are the ones that need to checked out for possible problems. i am pretty sure from what i have seen in the past, that firearms are done the same way. if yours wasn't in the affected range of serial numbers, then they may have seen no reason to contact you.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
if it's done like vehicles, only the vehicles within a certain VIN number range ae usually affected and are the ones that need to checked out for possible problems. i am pretty sure from what i have seen in the past, that firearms are done the same way. if yours wasn't in the affected range of serial numbers, then they may have seen no reason to contact you.
If you look at their website, it states that it applies to ALL M&P Shield pistols manufactured before 8/19/2013. I don't see anywhere on the website that indicates any affected serial #s
Besides, if only certain serial #s were affected, don't you think S&W could have responded like you just did instead of passing the buck.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #4

Liked 636 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 1892

Think about all the Shields they sold by that date. I highly doubt that ANY arms maker has the resources to contact that many customers on a personal basis.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Think about all the Shields they sold by that date. I highly doubt that ANY arms maker has the resources to contact that many customers on a personal basis.
You have a valid point, but how many Shield owners have their gun registered with S&W. I feel there would be a way to notify all those people. But if that's truly the case, couldn't they have easily responded as you did. I could understand if it wasn't possible for them to notify everyone, but they should just say so.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKaz View Post
But if that's truly the case, couldn't they have easily responded as you did. I could understand if it wasn't possible for them to notify everyone, but they should just say so.
Good point, who knows.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
If you look at their website, it states that it applies to ALL M&P Shield pistols manufactured before 8/19/2013. I don't see anywhere on the website that indicates any affected serial #s
Besides, if only certain serial #s were affected, don't you think S&W could have responded like you just did instead of passing the buck.
Quote:
You have a valid point, but how many Shield owners have their gun registered with S&W. I feel there would be a way to notify all those people. But if that's truly the case, couldn't they have easily responded as you did. I could understand if it wasn't possible for them to notify everyone, but they should just say so.
i have no idea as i don't own one. i know that most of all my guns were never registered for warranty purposes. imagine how many are not registered, or how many may have changed hands in that period of time. probably a lot.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

i have no idea as i don't own one. i know that most of all my guns were never registered for warranty purposes. imagine how many are not registered, or how many may have changed hands in that period of time. probably a lot.
I agree, but in my case I registered the gun within the last month so it wouldn't have taken much detective work to track me down.
I would have been fine if they said something to the effect of an apology or at least show an appreciation for their customers instead of passing the buck and basically giving me the brush off, IMO.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKaz

I agree, but in my case I registered the gun within the last month so it wouldn't have taken much detective work to track me down.
I would have been fine if they said something to the effect of an apology or at least show an appreciation for their customers instead of passing the buck and basically giving me the brush off, IMO.
You are probably the 10,000th person to call and say the same thing to them.