M&P 45 range report and issues

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > M&P 45 range report and issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 05:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default M&P 45 range report and issues

I finally got to put some ammo through my new M&P 45. Fired Winchester 230gr FMJ beautifully except for one problem. The slide didn't lock back, not once during the whole range day. This thoroughly disappointed me and my first thought was "Should of just bought another Glock".

The problem wasn't a magazine issue because it didn't lock back with both magazines that came with the gun. It's obviously the slide stop and should be an easy fix. I know S&W will take care of it. Other than that, it's an accurate gun, great ergo and smooth draw. We shot cans and melons so I don't have any target paper to show you guys but here's a photo of a melon that I shot with a Winchester Ranger LE .45 hollow point.

Well whats left of it anyway....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Nice! Bummer about the issue you have with it though, but atleast you know S&W will take care of it.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #3

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

I have a similar issue with my M&P 9. The slide locks open after the last round in the magazine, but it racks the first round of the next magazine as I place it into the pistol with a little authority. Note: I never said that I touched the slide release. This seemed to be a quirk of my pistol until I read this range report.

The pistol performs wonderfully other than that. Feels great, shoots accurately. Three magazines worth of rounds at 15 feet and I can punch a palm-sized hole out of the center of a paper target.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #4

Sorry to hear about your .45. I have the same gun and I've had no problems....so far.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'll keep you guys updated on this

Old 07-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #6

This is not a malfunction. As I understand it the M&P is designed to release the slide when a loaded magazine is inserted. And, IMHO it is a good feature for a duty weapon.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

OK, if you insert an empty mag into the mag and rack the slide, does it lock back then?

This may be shooter induced issue. As you shoot, the mag gets depled and the gun gets lighter. The last round fired leaves the gun very light and more prone to "limp wristing".

Lighter framed guns (alloy and polymer) are more prone to this than steel framed guns. Try a good solid, locked wrist and elbow, hold before you go sending it off.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
OK, if you insert an empty mag into the mag and rack the slide, does it lock back then?

This may be shooter induced issue. As you shoot, the mag gets depled and the gun gets lighter. The last round fired leaves the gun very light and more prone to "limp wristing".

Lighter framed guns (alloy and polymer) are more prone to this than steel framed guns. Try a good solid, locked wrist and elbow, hold before you go sending it off.
That's a good point, I'll test that out later, Thanks for the info robocop.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #9

We just went to the M&P at work. We have not seen that issue with the slide not locking back on the last round. I do notice on a mag reload if you really slam the mag in the slide will go forward. I've noticed it on my compact as well. However if I don't slam the mag in the slide stays back. Sounds kinda common in the M&P. Hope you get your issue worked out. I've heard Smith is pretty good about taking care of their customers.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #10

Make sure that your thumb is not on the slide stop.