Luger 9mm won't chamber. Help - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Luger 9mm won't chamber. Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

my suggestion: practice taking apart and reassembling your gun. it will not be that complicated. possible problem sounds like the magazine itself or perhaps it is not inserted all the way? (there should be a 'click' when it is fully seated). a lot of magazines say they accept 15 (or whatever) rounds but, especially when new, not easy to do. Try loading 5 rds in the mag and try

If you do all that, making sure the chamber is clear, any 9mm that won't take the Hornady JHP has an issue. It's basic stuff. send it back.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #12

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Some guns are harder to chamber! The Springfield I just bought takes more force than other guns I own! But nevertheless you can see the gun trying to chamber on every pull! Is it trying to chamber or not at all? That's probably the difference in the gun being faulty or the person not using enough force!

Old 02-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #13
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2043 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 2220

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiksdraw View Post
This may sound dumb and get me run out of here, but I will ask anyway: When you release the slide are you still holding on to the slide? I have seen people hold the slide so as to gently load the chamber, especially when handling a new gun. As you know, if you throw off the timing in the loading cycle the gun may have a failure to feed and/or other cycle related failures.
Not dumb and a fair comment since OP said it was his 2nd gun. We don't run people out of here for valid comments. Welcome to the forum!

OP: If you can strip the gun down, try simply putting a round in the chamber with just the barrel in hand. If the round fits reasonably, problem is probably feeding.

Also, if the gun is brand spanking new, it could have grease in it. Clean thoroughly and retest.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 02-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Round will not fit in barrel. Tip goes in but not fully. Itll try and feed the round but wont fit down barrel. It also comes cleaned from factory. Also not grannying the slide. Im taking ammo and gun to lgs now. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1267 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaBaggins63 View Post
Round will not fit in barrel. Tip goes in but not fully. Itll try and feed the round but wont fit down barrel. It also comes cleaned from factory. Also not grannying the slide. Im taking ammo and gun to lgs now. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks everyone.

The oils used in the factory are preservatives not lubricants. Guns might sit on the shelf for years before someone buys it. Other things happen that slow the delivery of guns. Manufacturers are aware of these issues and they do all they can to make sure the gun you buy is not rusted or corroded in any way.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-02-2014, 08:22 PM   #16

Liked 1027 Times on 723 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
When you field strip and remove the barrel can you drop a round in the chamber?

Quote:
Round will not fit in barrel. Tip goes in but not fully. Itll try and feed the round but wont fit down barrel. It also comes cleaned from factory. Also not grannying the slide. Im taking ammo and gun to lgs now. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks everyone...
If the round won't freely drop in the chamber while you're holding the barrel (chamber up) then there's something wrong with the 9mm ammo or 9mm chamber. Maybe a split case that got stuck in the chamber.

Anyway, your LGS can figure it out if it's obvious. It could be an out of spec chamber but you'd hope that would be caught before it left the factory.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1156 Posts
Likes Given: 629

Did the gun come with a fired round? Usually in a little envelope. It is sent to show the gun was test fired. If it was not test fired at the factory you may have a bad chamber and the company has very poor quality control.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

csaw44 Likes This 
Old 02-02-2014, 09:47 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The oils used in the factory are preservatives not lubricants. Guns might sit on the shelf for years before someone buys it. Other things happen that slow the delivery of guns. Manufacturers are aware of these issues and they do all they can to make sure the gun you buy is not rusted or corroded in any way.
This gun came from the manufacture fully prepped and cleaned with froglube.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
This gun came from the manufacture fully prepped and cleaned with froglube.

best most of us have come up with Froglube isn't a preservative oil or lube. meaning it doesn't protect against rust. i hardly think they would use Froglube from the factory for a gun that could sit on the shelf for months before being sold.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:28 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
best most of us have come up with Froglube isn't a preservative oil or lube. meaning it doesn't protect against rust. i hardly think they would use Froglube from the factory for a gun that could sit on the shelf for months before being sold.
Well...it does so not really sure what to tell you. And how exactly do you support that claim?