Looking for suggestions on buying my first semiauto handgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking for suggestions on buying my first semiauto handgun

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
As a farily person fairly new to firearms myself (<2 years) I can say my strong advise is for either a 22lr or 9mm. Both are cheap to shoot and relatively easy to find (Wally-World almost always has both in large quantities) My first gun was a Phoenix Arms HP22.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't spend a lot of money on your first gun, spend it on ammunition. Also, popular guns are usually popular for a reason. They tend to fit the needs of the greatest number of people. But it dosen't guarantee it'll be right for YOU.
Couldn't agree more. A used Phoenix Arms HP22 was my first 22 pistol and a used Hi point 9mm my first pistol. Learned a lot from shooting them both. Have better now but don't feel I ever wasted my money or experience.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think you are on the right track going with 22LR. You can always add another later for other use/purpose.

There are a lot of new nice looking 22LR but seems like the 2 best are still Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mark series. I bought the Buckmark and have no regrets.

I am not a fan of conversion kits...my thinking is why have one when you can have 2 dedicated pistols for just a little more. This is just my opinion and not saying conversion kits doesn't have their use.

Buy the best quality you can afford...NOT the most expensive. Know your intended use and go from there. For example, polymers are great for carry but IMHO is not optimal for range or home defense role. They are being pushed more since they are much cheaper to produce. They do offer great value...just may not be the best for some applications.

Good luck!

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 06-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #13
Jay

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by group17 View Post
Have better now but don't feel I ever wasted my money or experience.
I've found out in over 60+ years, that if you pay attention, experience is rarely wasted.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 06-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

I have an S&W Model 17 revolver. If I was looking for at 22 semi-auto pistol, I'd probably look at the Ruger 22/45 first.

Ruger® 22/45™ Rimfire Pistols

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #15

Default 22lr

Make sure you get yourself a quality 22LR, like a Ruger pistol or rifle.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would suggest a Browning Buckmark or Ruger MKII or III. Both are great pistols I just like the feel of the Buckmark.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 06-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #17

Try going to a shooting range and trying all sorts of handguns, see what feels right.

Personally I believe you can't go wrong with a CZ75.

Third party links in signature are a violation of TOS.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

'I have shot the ruger mk 111 and it is the most reliable and accurate and safe and inexpensive pistol on the market today. I shot it for over twenty years now and it will hold its own with any of the other twenty two,s out there. In my opinion it is real important to start with a small caliber which is comfortable for you to shoot and get proficient with it, then go up to the big boys like the .45 acp which is inherently accurate. You will definitely have a great time and in the process get real accurate with it.

Old 04-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jay, I would like to know what outfit you were with in Vietnam. I was there from November 2, 1967 until Feb. 3, 1968 when the Tet Offensive broke out. Was wounded during the fighting in Hue City and was a radioman with Lt. lambert and Captain Christmas who by the way is a three star General now and the a president of the USMC Museum in Quantico.! The Skipper is a great warrior and one to highly respect. In November 67' my baptism of fire and when I became a Veteran was in Operation Essex. Hotel Co. 2/5 operated mainly in the Arizona Territory and we had An Hoa as our Combat base then Phu Bai before we went to Hue City. Welcome Home and SEMPER FI! Brother!

Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #20

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

If you want to learn to shoot and also get ready to conceal carry I recommend getting a Bersa Thunder .22 for learning. Then get a Bersa Thunder .380 to carry. These two guns are exactly the same except for the calibers. This way going from one to the other is like just shooting the same gun. They are also not to expensive, but are accurate and dependable. The .380 is a good first carry gun and if you want a large caliber you can get one later. But remember in the new James Bond movie "Skyfall" Bond uses a .380 so it must be a good gun.

Closed Thread