Looking for suggestions on buying my first semiauto handgun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking for suggestions on buying my first semiauto handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaglesam View Post
Walther P22
This. Make sure you only use CCI Mini-Mags in it though or you may have feed and misfire problems...
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejiro View Post
I have never owned or really shot guns. I am looking for a good reliable semiauto handgun that I can learn the fundamentals of marksmanship on. I am considering a 22caliber because they are relatively inexpensive as guns go and the ammo is cheap. I was hoping to get some suggestions on what to look into and to help me with my descision.

Tia
Ken
a P22 is a good gun,, I have one,,, it is a fun lil gun,, foer the money,,, I'd tell you to , buy a Glock 9mm or and XDM in 9mm, some used Glocks cost just lil bit more than a new P22,,

Author of: The 3 Gun Multi Gun Report
morrisammo.com

Old 06-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5736 Times on 3361 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I know this isn't the least expensive option, but what about a CZ75b in 9mm and the CZ "kadet kit" that lets you swap out the 9mm slide & barrel & magazine for a 22LR set? If you can afford it, it would let you practice with 22LR while leaving the pistol in 9mm setup for any defensive needs.

CZ-USA -> CZ 75 B

CZ-USA -> CZ 75 KADET ADAPTER

I saw some used CZ75b's (i guess police/military trade ins) for about $350 at this place: Widener's Reloading and Shooting Supply INC

I love my CZ75b; it has never jammed on me and feels very solid in the hand. I do not have a kadet kit for mine, not yet anyways.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #14

.38 Special isn't as cheap as .22LR but allows for less expensive practice than full house .357 MAG.

I have an EAA Windicator 2" Snubby and it's a hoot with .38 Spec or .357 Mag.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 06-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #15

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Another vote for the Ruger Mk Series... The Walthers are cool looking guns but they don't have a feel that carries over into other guns... They are too compact for me to be comfortable shooting them and some of them can be very ammo sensitive. The Rugers tend to shoot just about anything put through them and as far as cleaning, it is a pain but rarely must be done... We go a couple bricks of ammo ( brick and a half or so at the least) before a thorough cleaning of dad's MKII is necessary... You can get the Rugers for very reasonable prices too... I like the 22/45 series but some folks don't fancy polymer trigger frames... My SR9 (full frame Ruger 9mm with polymer lower unit) shoots great and feels very good... If you want to shoot something that screams NICE GUN, Ruger just released a 1911 of their own recently that can be had for around 6 bills (subject to change)...

Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #16

I just bought one of the Ruger P95 9mm pistols a couple weekends ago (stainless model) Ruger® P-Series P95™ Centerfire Pistol Models. Very happy with it. About $350 out the door. It is a little heavy when compared with others, but if you are on a budget, you won't mind the extra weight.

Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If the Mafia were bigger, IT would be the government.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The reason illegal aliens are doing jobs Americans won't is that it pays too damn well to do nothing.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Take a look at the Kel Tec PMR-30 pistol. A good .22 magnum that holds a lot of ammo and would make a good survival gun if needed. Probably about the best way to go for a training gun and survival gun at one time.

Kel Tec CNC

Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #18

Orangello thx for the post. I was really considering that option bc I fell in love with the cz75b while looking up guns that were suggested to me. Although I have yet to handle one. I've yet to see if any of the local ranges have any fir rentals