Looking for suggestions on buying my first semiauto handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking for suggestions on buying my first semiauto handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for suggestions on buying my first semiauto handgun

I have never owned or really shot guns. I am looking for a good reliable semiauto handgun that I can learn the fundamentals of marksmanship on. I am considering a 22caliber because they are relatively inexpensive as guns go and the ammo is cheap. I was hoping to get some suggestions on what to look into and to help me with my descision.

Tia
Ken

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

First off, WELCOME to the best Firearm forum on the interwebz. Stop by the intro section, introduce yourself and say hello.

As far a buying your first gun, there are many good 22 pistols on the market today and its a wise place to start. I own a Ruger Mark II 22/45 which is weighted and has same style controls as the 1911 and is an excellent practice plinker to play with and I use all the time.

The best thing to do is go to a local gun shop and pick up and handle any one you can find and see what fits you hands the best. then so some research on the one you are interested in. Good luck on your search and welcome aboard.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:06 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Welcome to the FTF.

A good choice to start with a 22 as a learner. The best 22 for you to get is the one you like the most. Try to find a place to shoot a few different types. I have a Browning Buckmark 22 I shoot more than any other handgun I have. Just make sure you get a good quality gun. If you go too cheep you may be sorry later.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 05-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think 22LR or 9mm is a good starting point. Start checking Browning Buckmark and Ruger Mark series. I have the Buckmark and cannot ask for more (value wise).

That said, my wife didn't like 22LR much, since she claims it is almost like shooting nothing...she likes shooting my .40 cal more but it might change once she shoot my new 9mm which she already claimed w/o shooting yet. I am pushing her the 22LR since it is much cheaper to shoot

Old 05-29-2011, 09:52 PM   #5

Thx for all of the replies I will deffenatly research into these guns to see what catches my eye then go check them out at a local shop

Old 05-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The Browning Buckmark is my favorite .22 handgun. I've have the stainless camper model with the URX grip. It's excellent!
I would recommend a full size steel gun for 9mm A's well. The CZ is my favorite in that arena. I also adore the Browning Hipower, but from afar.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #7

Liked 699 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

Walther P22

Old 05-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I would recommend a full size steel gun for 9mm A's well. The CZ is my favorite in that arena. I also adore the Browning Hipower, but from afar.
I agree. CZ is also my favorite 9mm now and like you...lusting for a BHP due to all the rave reviews but never tried it yet. I can't imagine it being that much better than the CZ though (but I could be mistaken).

Old 05-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i am looking at getting a cz 75b as my second,

Old 06-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #10

For your stated use, a .22 is a great choice. Do you have a feel for what kind of gun you'll want to own if you decide to go further? For example, maybe you want to do competition shooting, personal carry, or you fancy 1911s or a Glock in a defense caliber someday.

For example, you could consider the GSG 1911-22 or maybe the Ruger 22/45 if you wanted to get into 1911s later.

For just accurate 22 semi-auto shooting, its hard to beat the Ruger Mark II or III pistols for a very reasonable price. Nice sight radius, accurate, easy to shoot. A pain to clean though.