Looking for some advice (Kel-Tec PMR30)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking for some advice (Kel-Tec PMR30)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 2

Default Looking for some advice (Kel-Tec PMR30)

Recently discovered my friend has one, went shooting, it was awesome.
After looking around it seems like they're really hard to get a hand on one for a decent price.
Anyone tell me why they're so hard to get ahold of? Also is there a "better" strategy then just jumping on waiting lists everywhere?
Would it be easier to have my FFL friend just try and hunt one down for me?
What's a fair price range to end up paying?

Thanks

Henry Lever action .22 rifle
Hi Point 995 TSFG 9mm Carbine
Mossberg 500A 18in 12 gauge
Kel Tec PMR 30 .22 WMR

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Hard to get a hold of isn't just this gun, it's any, and it's because of this ban being talked about. People are scared that they'll never be able to get a gun in the future, or that it'll cost so much more if the libs have their way, so the market is flooded with demand without the supply to equal it.

Do both, get on lists and have your friend hunt one down then take what comes your way first. Price I can't tell you, I wouldn't buy a keltec because they cost pretty much the same as that which they copy without having the quality control of them. I'd get a Ruger, but that's just me.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 01-09-2013 at 06:01 PM.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

That whole political storm of gun control coming aside, were they always so hard to get a hold of?

Kel Tec PMR 30 .22 WMR

Old 01-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #4

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMarsh View Post
That whole political storm of gun control coming aside, were they always so hard to get a hold of?
Wouldn't know, like I said, I've never looked into keltec guns at all. I'm sure they're fine guns, but I stick with either what I know our what is really cheap, like sns. Guess I like to gamble but only when the price is right. Lol

Old 01-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Wouldn't know, like I said, I've never looked into keltec guns at all. I'm sure they're fine guns, but I stick with either what I know our what is really cheap, like sns. Guess I like to gamble but only when the price is right. Lol
that's generally how I feel about it as well man. Most expensive gun I own is that M&P .45, and before this I didn't know anything about the PMR or Kel Tec either.
Went shooting with my buddy though yesterday and put like 60 rounds through his, though and seeing it was a Kel-Tec I thought it would be an easy grab.

Boy was my face red when i started looking into it. The thing is, now that I shot it I don't want anything else

Kel Tec PMR 30 .22 WMR

Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5659 Times on 2956 Posts
Likes Given: 374

keltec has massive production issues. the pmr 30 also has a habit of coming apart when fired. they have ceased production and shipping at one point because of that. no clue if they ever fixed the issue and started up production again.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1586 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 546

I have two Kel Tecs that function great but they don't come from the factory running good. Getting my P-3AT running right was a 5 month battle with Kel Tec. Kel Tec fixed my P-3AT in two weeks after my credit card company threatened to back charge Kel Tec.

I bought my P-11 used. I had to sand all the contact points with emory cloth before the gun would function properly. If you want a half finished weapon buy a Kel Tec.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Kel Tec does manufacturing for other things too.
One of my suppliers was supposedly told by the pres of Kel-Tec that all resources were now being directed to the aircraft field and production of the PMR-30 will resume once they are caught up (in other words, when the price goes up enough to warrant production.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #9

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

If you have a mindset on getting a 22 mag auto pistol there are two other choices. The AMT II, manufacturer has changed hands a few times and is now distributed by High Standard and is probably hard to get. A friend bought an older one that a dealer had at a gun show it was in excellent like new condition more than likely because the owner had problems with it, they are finicky as to the brand and type of bullet shape of the ammo. In looking the magazine I have seen an issue that the manufacturer seems to have overlooked, the back portion of the 22 mag cases slide side to side and that seems to cause some feed issues that I figure could have been alleviated by having narrow guide groves formed at the back of the magazine. With Winchester Western ammo they function with very little problems. Then there is the Excel Arms Accelerator, It's big and heavy, 8 1/2" bull barrel and weighs a bit over 3 1/3 pounds. My friend had bought one before considering it was too big to carry comfortably for him and that's when he started looking for an AMT. He had his name on a couple of PMR-30 waiting lists but realized that at his age he might die before one came available. His AMT II has the drill dimpled chamber and it is very ammo sensitive with Winchester Western functioning the best, no ammo can be used that has a step in the bullet because they jam on the chamber mouth. They are quality built otherwise and oddly the magazines look exactly like the ones used in the Accelerator which due to design of the feed ramp seem to be able to take a greater variety of 22 mag brands without feed problems. The biggest problem my friend has with his AMT is that the recoil spring makes the slide hard for his 80 year old hands to pull to load a round, they are STIFF. One thing is that both these other pistols magazines are only 9 round.

Last edited by Viking; 01-12-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #10

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Might as well consider that hell will freeze over before a PMR-30 ever becomes available, too bad, because after all the production problems they had it's probably a good firearm.