Looking for a small auto.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking for a small auto.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 03:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for a small auto.

I have been look for a small auto pistol. Perferably one as small as my Taurus PT-22. I love the size of this gun, but a 22 is a poor self-defense round and the weapon is not reliable at all. I can't go for twenty rounds before a jam. I already have a S&W m36 that a often carry but I really want a small auto.

The problem is that I am retired from the NYPD because I was shot in the hand and I have had reconstructive surgerys to repair my hand. This has made racking a slide difficult and painful. I tried my friend's Kel-tec .380 and the recoil is stout for such a small gun and for a smaller caliber than my .38 special. So I started looking at .32 acp models. I looked at the Beretta Tomcat because with tip-up pistols I don't have to manipulate the slide. My son, however, said that it may have the same problems as my Taurus because of the similar design (no extractor).

He suggested a walther ppk in 380 or .32 acp, or the walther pk-380. I think that is still too large though.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

I really want it to be small and low recoil. I know that those two groups can be exclusive categories but it is still what I am looking for, sorry for being difficult, .

Uphold the Law Sleep with a Cop

Be warned: I'm female, armed, and backed by law - Retired LEO

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2010, 03:58 AM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

As I read your post, my thoughts turned to the Beretta Tomcat .32, as well.

But have you put some practice into one handed failure drills? These allow you to rack the slide without using two hands.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #3

This is kind of unorthodox but in your situation (Having difficulty running the slide, and not being able to tolerate recoil) I’d go with an old 5 shot .38 S&W top-break revolver.

Before the .380 craze of today there was the .38 S&W craze of the late 1800s- early 1900s.

There were hundreds of different little pocket revolvers chambered for .38 S&W, manufactured by various companies.

The .38 S&W is less powerful than .380 ACP, but more powerful than 32 ACP.

link to article about .38 S&W

Last edited by FT360; 09-14-2010 at 07:15 AM.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

You need to really look at the Sig 238. The 238 is a locked breech design with much less felt recoil. I've shot my 238 in the same session as my PPK and the difference is amazing. I've shot lot's of pocket guns and this one is by far the most comfortable to shoot...

Old 09-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3369 Times on 1929 Posts
Likes Given: 1430

Have you considered the Ruger .327? Or the .32 Magnum? Ruger, S&W, and a couple of others make revolvers for that caliber.
Good Luck.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Ruger LCPs are gaining popularity as a CC with the LEOs in this area. If racking the slides a problem the Ruger LCR is also a great hammerless revolver with an exceptional trigger.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
ET1

Here's another vote for a small revolver. If you have any trouble racking the slide on a semi, then you are asking for trouble. In a PD situation you must have the ability to repeatedly rack the slide quickly to clear the weapon in case of a failure. It's the second option you go to when you hear a click or worse yet, nothing, when you pull the trigger, (ie. tap, rack, fire...nothing happens, so you drop the mag & rack the slide several times quickly to clear the chamber, reinsert the mag, rack the slide again & fire). If you can't do this really fast then you need a revolver instead. Your life may depend on it.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6618 Times on 3516 Posts
Likes Given: 490

weight helps felt recoil. you might want to consider an all steel handgun.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #9

I don't want to get another revolver only because I can just carry my S&W m36 if I want to carry a revolver.

I do like the look of that Sig 238. Is the slide easy to rack on this model?

Uphold the Law Sleep with a Cop

Be warned: I'm female, armed, and backed by law - Retired LEO

Old 09-15-2010, 01:34 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The slide should be easier than a Kel-tec for example because: The SIG has a single action hammer. If you cock the hammer prior to using the slide than it would be a lighter pull than the kel-tec. With the kel-tec you fight the recoil spring and the hammer, and with the SIG the hammer is already cocked.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 09-15-2010 at 02:01 AM.