Looking for Ruger information
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking for Ruger information

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for Ruger information

I have a Ruger Mark III Hunter and have questions, I believe Ruger owners can help me with.

I have a question regarding Mark III Hunter, racking. My son cleaned his Mark III Hunter and after reassembling, bolt will not rack, what happens, inserting the magazine, when I racked it, bolt lockes open, did not return, I had to release the bolt with bolt release, only then did it fire, upon racking again, it locks each time.

Upon assemblying, what could my son have done to cause this?

Thanks, I hope I explained the situation.

Last edited by canebrake; 09-06-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-06-2010, 01:31 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There's probably enough Ruger owners in this forum to start a small army, all you have to do is ask and be polite.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:56 AM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Ask away man. Tons of ruger owners and lovers on here.

Some consider it a form of bad manners to ask about help in finding other forums other than the one you are on.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:20 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 471 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You have questions, the fine people here have answers. Just ask away.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:45 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got a Mk III (Well, a Mk 2.5 now) that I know pretty well, but the guy who's been most helpful to me is Stalkingbear. Zap a PM to either of us, we'd be glad to help.

Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 09-06-2010 at 03:50 AM.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:05 AM   #6

Default Mark III Hunter

HI,, Mr. Bluesky, thanks for the response.

I decided to give it another try, got the barrel out, then proceed to field strip, removed the mainspring/bolt assembly and removed the barrel assembly, now trying to re assemble I cannot return the mainspring and bolt pins......frustrated as I never seen this handgun as well as being a newbie......hmmmmmm! My son wants to give me this Mark III hunter as I had show interest in it, but when he cleaned it a day or so ago, (and he has done this before) it seems the barrel spring came apart somehow, (he said he never took the spring out before, but for some reason it popped out and he claims it is back the way it should be......

thanks again.

Last edited by canebrake; 09-06-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #7

Liked 1432 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I know nothing about the Mark III but are you racking the slide with an empty magazine installed? Doesn't the slide lock back in a autoloader when the gun is empty?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 09-06-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I know nothing about the Mark III but are you racking the slide with an empty magazine installed? Doesn't the slide lock back in a autoloader when the gun is empty?
Yeah, but he also said that the bolt wouldn't pull back at all, which happens to the Mk III if the hammer is forward when you slide the bolt back in.

Art, if by "barrel assembly" you mean the receiver (The part that the bolt slides into), Not putting it back on squarely can prevent the mainspring from going back in. Look at the gun from the back and make sure that the receiver isn't twisted with regard to the grip frame. The receiver might also not be all the way on, it can be tough on newer Mk III's. A few hard taps with a plastic hammer can fix that.

If by "barrel assembly" you mean the bolt (Cylindrical metal part about 2-3 inches long with a spring running along the top and a double groove in the bottom, has the cocking serrations near the back), there's a video in the other thread that should be very helpful to you.

To be honest, the best thing you can do right now is sit down with the manual for the gun and strip/reassemble it repeatedly. Following the instructions in there will probably fix your problem, and becoming more familiar with the part names can help us out if you ever run into trouble again.
Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM

Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #9

Default Mark III hunter

Thank you, Canebrake and Mr. Bluesky, I will continue reading etc. I am such a newbie that I am begining to get frustrated, but I shall over come....

I have fired this pistol and love it but with these problems, assembling/disassembling make me wonder. I also see, if many others have these pistols and love them, so can I......I can, I can, I can....LOL

thanks

Old 09-07-2010, 05:21 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who can help. Personally, I have the 22/45 Mk III, so my pistol isn't exactly the same as yours. My recommendation, though, is to call Ruger.

When I bought my 22/45, I knew that it would break down differently than other pistols I was familiar with, so I asked the guy who was selling me the gun (at a gun store) to break it down for me. He couldn't get it to break down properly. I bought it anyway, figuring if there was something wrong, Ruger would fix it since it was brand new.

I did get it apart, but when I put it back together, I apparently pulled the trigger at the wrong time or something. I called Ruger. I had to call back at a time when the right person was in (later that afternoon). He talked me through disassembling and then reassembling the gun, and it worked perfectly.

If you do call, be ready with a rubber mallet (I didn't need it, but you never know) and some kind of padded, but still firm surface. I used a legal pad on top of a hard surface, but a gun cleaning mat or mouse pad will work nicely also.

Good luck, and just keep reminding yourself how much fun it is to shoot that gun!

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs