looking for a reliable 9mm that will fire every time - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

looking for a reliable 9mm that will fire every time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Go with a glock. It has always gone bang for me when I pulled the trigger on my 17 and 37.

Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #42

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

There is no denying Glocks reliability. But if it isn't your thing then so be it. Most of the bigger longer established gun makers make a reliable weapon. As long as you take care of them they will function. What is most important is that they fit you. Pick up as many as youi cna get your hands on and you will feel one that gives you the feel you want. Maybe something like the Smith M&P, Springers XD, or the FN FNP that gives you the changeable back strap will allow for a grip that you will like. If of course you are into the poly frame pistols. I'm a 1911 guy so I don't usually carry around a 9mm. If I was to I would probably lean to a Sig Sauer. I love the feel of them and they will always work. I carried a 229 for a good while before trading it off for a small revolver. But I was wanting something for pocket carry in hot weather and a little 38 fit the bill at the time. Have you looked at the Bersa Thunder 9mm? They are pretty cost effective and you are familiar with the platform.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #43

Never heard of the Glocks going ka-pow. I've seen several instatces.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #44
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Jkustomz28, there are a few things that haven't been mentioned in this thread yet, so I'd like to give you a little different advice.

First, comfortable carry is more about the holster than the gun. A good holster from a reputable manufacturer can make all the difference. Go to gun stores and gun shows, borrow friends holsters and try as many as possible until you find what works for you. IWB, OWB, SOB, shoulder, ankle, Polymer, leather - the combination of choices is endless for a reason - different types work for different people. And if you're going to carry on your waist, get an actual gun belt. The holster won't work correctly if not properly supported.

Second, as a rule, the gun manufacturer doesn't matter. Long ago, when Glock was brand new, they upped the bar on quality like the firearms industry had never seen. But today, every manufacturer produces top quality, reliable products or they go out of business. It is better to buy the gun you are most comfortable with when shooting. It is better to save a few bucks on the gun and put some money into an advanced carry or tactical shooting class (about $100). Our police dept does everything up to SWAT classes with the shooting house, night fire drills and everything!

Last, it's better to not rely on a standard manufactured gun for reliability. Many professional gunsmiths offer reliability tuning. They will polish and port the feed ramp (more reliable feeding), tune, but not lighten the trigger (smoother shooting for better accuracy) and port the magazine well (faster reloading). With advanced training mentioned above and a tuned gun you are comfortable with, you will be a shooting expert regardless of the brand you choose! Too many people buy and sell guns looking for the exact fit. Find one you like and make it perfect for you!

Money spent on tuning, training a proper holster and gun belt, and practice ammo is a far better investment than trying to find the "perfect" off-the-shelf gun. CZ, Beretta, Glock, Sig Sauer, S&W and other manufacturers are all equally reliable these days, and with tuning and practice they are all made better. Training with professionals makes you better, so choose to invest in yourself.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #45
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Jkustomz28, as an aside to my above post, I should mention that I'm 6'4", 225 lbs, and I carry a 9mm Browning Hi-Power tuned by Cylinder & Slide (http://www.cylinder-slide.com/). Why do I carry a full metal gun that weighs twice as much as others? Because I've been shooting and training with the same gun for 30 years and am deadly accurate. I thought about changing to polymer guns, but I *know* this gun inside out. Replace barrel, springs and parts as they wear out and train, train, train!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 363 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Glock, end of discussion.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #47

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring
Glock, end of discussion.
This will make it rain, we need some in NC!!! I've never had a problem with my Glock...but it's not a 9mm.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #48

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater
Double action requires a longer, more deliberate pull.
So? It also doesn't have a bunch of other distractions to it. It's a simple take down and operation pistol, one reason a lot of law enforcement agencies went to it. The military insist that there handgun platform has safety levers on it and they still have NGs so that's no magic fix. IMO the simpler the better for a new shooter.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #49

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022 View Post
So? It also doesn't have a bunch of other distractions to it. It's a simple take down and operation pistol, one reason a lot of law enforcement agencies went to it. The military insist that there handgun platform has safety levers on it and they still have NGs so that's no magic fix. IMO the simpler the better for a new shooter.
How 'bout we just get back to the OP'S question-
Which was not glock trigger vs DA revolver trigger
Personaly I'd go Ruger but the smaller SR9c merits a look see-
Much more concealable & after 2 yrs & upteen rds 100% hiccup free + the option of 11rds or 18rds----

looking for a reliable 9mm that will fire every time - Semi-Auto Handguns

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 07-01-2012 at 08:05 PM.
roughneck266 Likes This 
Old 07-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #50

Ok. Well I took everyone's advice and I player with the glock and ruger had them both holstered on my hip and the ruger has the decocker and the external hammer and ruger has a good track record with them being a American made gun as well and lifetime warranty for orgianal owner and also the ruger felt way better in my hand and in the holster I didn't like the glock feel so I picked up the ruger p95 today with a blackhawk serpa holster and 25 rounds of hollow point. Gun came with a nice hard case and 2 magazines and all of it for a amazing price. Gun 2 magazines and hard case $325 holster $43 bullets $26 all that for $400 and its Stealer to me now can't beat the price and the ruger p series has a great track record. I'm happy with the gun and the feel and the options available for it and what it comes with. All in all I'm happy. And I thank everyone for they're help.