Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > looking for a reliable 9mm that will fire every time

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #91
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkustomz28
Ok so I just ran 100 rounds in my gun p95 and it jammed 2x fte and ftf is that normal for brand new gun first 100 rounds ever threw the gun?
Jkustomz28,

Just like anything mechanical, guns are generally built tight and have to be used for everything to fit and function together. Remember that a FTF can be a bad round, even from a reputable manufacturer. Powder and primer can both fail. Also, FTE can be caused by a short charge of powder. I'm not saying this is definitely what happened, just wanted you to keep it in mind.

Also, limp wristing on a regular basis would normally cause more failures than the couple you experienced. It's also worth noting that if the failures happened towards the end of your shooting session, your grip may have weakened due to fatigue, causing a limp wrist situation. When this happens, concentrate on tightening your grip and continue shooting. If it goes away, your muscles are probably just not used to holding the gun up and firing it that much. The good news is you can fix that at home by practicing drawing from cover, aiming and practicing trigger control with an empty pistol.

Just a few things to consider before faulting the gun. If it continues into 300-400 rounds, I might have a competent and qualified gunsmith.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #92

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sig, Glock, or HK!

Old 07-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #93
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Qualified gunsmith service it.

I got cut short on that response. :-P

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

Jkustomz28,

Just like anything mechanical, guns are generally built tight and have to be used for everything to fit and function together. Remember that a FTF can be a bad round, even from a reputable manufacturer. Powder and primer can both fail. Also, FTE can be caused by a short charge of powder. I'm not saying this is definitely what happened, just wanted you to keep it in mind.

Also, limp wristing on a regular basis would normally cause more failures than the couple you experienced. It's also worth noting that if the failures happened towards the end of your shooting session, your grip may have weakened due to fatigue, causing a limp wrist situation. When this happens, concentrate on tightening your grip and continue shooting. If it goes away, your muscles are probably just not used to holding the gun up and firing it that much. The good news is you can fix that at home by practicing drawing from cover, aiming and practicing trigger control with an empty pistol.

Just a few things to consider before faulting the gun. If it continues into 300-400 rounds, I might have a competent and qualified gunsmith.
Ok thank you for the advise. It first jam was the 2 or 3 round threw the gun. The second jam was more toward the 60-70 round mark.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #95

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

Ya I know that now. I was having a blonde moment. It works very well......when you aren't using a dang 9mm
Haha...a blonde moment....

You hear why the boss fired his blonde secretary? He got tired of scraping the "white out" off of the computer screen.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:43 PM   #96
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51

Sure, it's possible. Make sure you have a proper grip. It's also possible that it didn't like the ammo you fed it.

Have a more experienced shooter put some rounds through it if possible. If it happens with them as well, I'd change up the ammo. Which really, is a good idea to see what if anything it does not like.
This is extremely important in semi-autos. Try every brand, weight and style (FMJ, HP, flat point, wadcutter) that you can get your hands on. I was extremely surprised at what brands and weights shot best and most accurate in my semi-autos.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #97

I'd love to shot HP but the ranges by me don't allow HP.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #98

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkustomz28
Ok so I just ran 100 rounds in my gun p95 and it jammed 2x fte and ftf is that normal for brand new gun first 100 rounds ever threw the gun?
That was the only time my P95 malfunctioned, since them 700+ rounds and ZERO problems

Old 07-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #99

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

I'm partial to XDM, that new single stack .45 is calling me.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #100

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know this is almost apples and oranges, but Ruger manufacturing is evident in both.
I bought a brand new 1022 rifle and had to put about 1000 rounds through it before I got rid of my FTE problems with cheaper ammo.
In my rifle some of the parts had a rough finish and caused the problems. Now that the parts have polished together I can put almost any ammo through it.
I would think thats what's going on with your pistol. You could do lots of research and polish the problem areas, or go the fun route, and just shoot the heck out of that thing till it polishes itself.

If it continues to give issue, contact Ruger, they will fix it.

Last edited by Commocarl; 07-04-2012 at 07:48 PM.