Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking to purchase my first Handgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Mile highs run 1500 and up. alot to pay for a gun you ma not like. As stated before, go to the rang and shoot rentals. once youfind the fit and feel by a used one. i recommend a medium cal for a first gun. Something light and cheap. Bersa makes a nice 380 and 9mm. They run about 250 new. I wouldnt use the 380 for a primary; but it makes a good gun for the range or a bug.[/QUOTE]

Old 04-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfsauve View Post
I like my recently purchased Walther P99

The magazine release is ambi and the decoker easy to operate from either side. Only non-ambi feature is the slide hold open which is on the left side only.
When I first started looking at handguns that was my favorite for a long time.. But I'm just kinda skeptical about buying a plastic polymer gun.. That and I want something with good range and firepower, hence why I'm leaning towards a .45..

Old 04-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #13

Default Understand

I think that's a good idea to stick with an all metal for your first one. If you at all think you might participate in practical/tactical competition, go see what models the top competitors use.

I already have a 1911 in .45, so for me this was an adventure in both polymer frame and in .40S&W. I've been very pleased. I've retired the 1911 to the safe and the P99 is now the go-to gun around the house.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default M&p 40

Try out a Smith and Wesson M&P 40. Its a perfect handgun for right or left hand. It has ambidextrous slide releases and the mag release is EASILY changed from right to left. Theres plenty of other features, and their website can tell you more than I can. I have one and LOVE it. It feels so comfortable and natural holding it. I went to the range with a local police officer and he let me compare a Glock 19 first and then his M&P 40 and it was like night and day. I've put about 2000 rounds through it so far, and Ive only had problems with cheap ammo not discharging (two rounds I think). I highly recommend researching it and trying it, and if you hurry you can still get the $50 rebate and two free mags.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Also, Im not sure if the M&P 45 is available to civilians yet. Id prefer a 40 over a 45 anyways. The 45 kicks more and the ballistics are almost identical.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:45 AM   #16

I do most things left handed, though I do not have problems crossing over when it's better to use the right hand (some 1911 functions when I've dry fired them).

The M & P polymer guns are attractive for the ambidextrous features, though I've not fired one yet. They do feel good in the hand, at least to me.

Cost and availability of left-handed guns kept me away from even considering them. If there's a lower cost alternative, I'd look at it, but I don't want to compromise reliability or durability.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfsauve View Post
I think that's a good idea to stick with an all metal for your first one. If you at all think you might participate in practical/tactical competition, go see what models the top competitors use.

I already have a 1911 in .45, so for me this was an adventure in both polymer frame and in .40S&W. I've been very pleased. I've retired the 1911 to the safe and the P99 is now the go-to gun around the house.
I really love the design of the P99, the only thing that turned me off on it was that it was a polymer and only came in .9mm and .40S&W.. But it would be much more suitable for a carry-on gun as opposed to the 1911 I would think.. That and the P99 has come down in price.. It was $800 when I first started looking at them, they are now just above $600.. BTW, how does the gun feel? Does it have a cheap, light-weight feel to it? I don't like real light handguns, nor do I like the cheap feel (Which is why I was leaning towards a metal gun)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Try out a Smith and Wesson M&P 40. Its a perfect handgun for right or left hand. It has ambidextrous slide releases and the mag release is EASILY changed from right to left. Theres plenty of other features, and their website can tell you more than I can. I have one and LOVE it. It feels so comfortable and natural holding it. I went to the range with a local police officer and he let me compare a Glock 19 first and then his M&P 40 and it was like night and day. I've put about 2000 rounds through it so far, and Ive only had problems with cheap ammo not discharging (two rounds I think). I highly recommend researching it and trying it, and if you hurry you can still get the $50 rebate and two free mags.
Although I like Smith and Wesson, if I were to go with a .40S&W I decided on a Beretta 96 or Walther P99.. I like their designs..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Also, Im not sure if the M&P 45 is available to civilians yet. Id prefer a 40 over a 45 anyways. The 45 kicks more and the ballistics are almost identical.
I read up on the differences between .40S&W and .45ACP, and from what I gather, you can get a higher grain .40S&W that will pack as much of a punch as a standard .45ACP load, but with greater accuracy.. Is this correct? I have also read that the maximum effective range is much greater for a .40S&W cartridge than a .45ACP.. Is that correct also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthTry View Post
I do most things left handed, though I do not have problems crossing over when it's better to use the right hand (some 1911 functions when I've dry fired them).

The M & P polymer guns are attractive for the ambidextrous features, though I've not fired one yet. They do feel good in the hand, at least to me.

Cost and availability of left-handed guns kept me away from even considering them. If there's a lower cost alternative, I'd look at it, but I don't want to compromise reliability or durability.
The few left-handed guns I've seen were not cheap at all.. So I figured that a Ambidextrous gun would be my best bet to stay in my budget.. I really wish there was a good gun range near me, there is only one and I don't know if they allow you to rent all these types of guns.. Or how much it would cost to rent them..

Old 04-18-2008, 12:49 AM   #18

Default RE: P99 Weight and Feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierdon View Post
I really love the design of the P99, [snip] BTW, how does the gun feel? Does it have a cheap, light-weight feel to it? I don't like real light handguns, nor do I like the cheap feel (Which is why I was leaning towards a metal gun)
Like all polymers it is light and top heavy especially when empty. So yes there is, compared with my 1911, a light-weight feel. I wouldn't call it cheap. Just light weight. Different. Remember to many people, whose first and only encounter has been polymer, an all metal gun feels "clunky" and heavy to them.

I really like the true SA+DA, hammerless with the decocker. Best of both worlds.