Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking to purchase my first Handgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking to purchase my first Handgun.

I've decided to purchase a handgun for personal safety and also to take to the firing range or when I go hunting. I really don't know where to start, but I do have some criteria. I'm hoping someone here will be able to make this search less painful to me

Here's my problem though.. I'm right handed and left-eye dominant and from firing different pistols, I'm just a better shot left handed.

Here's the criteria:

1) Left-handed/ambidextrous
2) I would prefer a metal gun over a polymer
3) .45 preferred but may go with .40 S&W
4) Accuracy
5) Durability (I'm hoping to keep this gun for at least 5 years or more)
6) Preferably top or left-side ejecting (I don't want shells flying in front of or at my face)
7) I would like to stay under or around $800, being this would be my first Handgun purchase.

Thanks for any and all input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2008, 02:30 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Congrats on the decision. Same "advice" for anyone, shoot as many different types as you can before you decide (rent, borrow etc).
Number one is reputable manufacturer. Your price range will more than do the job for a quality firearm that is reliable and durable. Second, get what you can shoot well. There are a lot of arguments about caliber, but shot placement is the key. Would bottom rung at the 9mm though; but as you stated your preference is 40 or 45, so we are in the ball park.

Finally whatever your choice, practice with it often and carry it (legally).
SIG, Glock, Kimber, Springfield etc etc. Your personal choice. There is plenty of time to get another one down the road too, so don't look for the "perfect" solution. As with our comrades in this forum, you are kidding yourself if you think this will be your last pistol. Just remember that mods are cheaper when you buy them on the gun, aftermarket can eat you up in a hurry. Good luck with your choice!
regards

Old 04-07-2008, 04:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
Congrats on the decision. Same "advice" for anyone, shoot as many different types as you can before you decide (rent, borrow etc).
Number one is reputable manufacturer. Your price range will more than do the job for a quality firearm that is reliable and durable. Second, get what you can shoot well. There are a lot of arguments about caliber, but shot placement is the key. Would bottom rung at the 9mm though; but as you stated your preference is 40 or 45, so we are in the ball park.

SIG, Glock, Kimber, Springfield etc etc. Your personal choice. There is plenty of time to get another one down the road too, so don't look for the "perfect" solution. As with our comrades in this forum, you are kidding yourself if you think this will be your last pistol. Just remember that mods are cheaper when you buy them on the gun, aftermarket can eat you up in a hurry. Good luck with your choice!
regards
this post is so well informed it is not even funny

ok well the best gun for you just as sed b4 is the gun you shoot the best not what we send you to but what is good for you
so if i was you and i am left handed start looking at ruger than work from there in the more blue collier gunz

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-07-2008, 05:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post

regards
I was thinking of a Springfield/Rock Island/Kimber 1911, Ruger P345, Beretta 96 (is the Taurus P100 series any good?). I like the way the slide is on the Beretta 96, but I haven't seen that type on anything but the Beretta..

I'm still doing a bit of research to find the right look I want for the gun..

I'm just concerned on some of them ejecting shells into my field of view or into my head, beings I shoot left-handed.. I had a gun do this before, can't remember what it was though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoll View Post
this post is so well informed it is not even funny

ok well the best gun for you just as sed b4 is the gun you shoot the best not what we send you to but what is good for you
so if i was you and i am left handed start looking at ruger than work from there in the more blue collier gunz
I held, but never shot, a Ruger P345 and I liked the feel of it.. But it being a Right-Side eject, I didn't know if I would have problems with it ejecting into my field of view or into my head like stated above..

Old 04-07-2008, 11:29 PM   #5

Lefty guns are about as rare as dinosaur eggs......
A friend of mine has a Randall Portsider, which is a lefty 1911, but they don't make them anymore. He got his back in the early 80's when he was in the Marine Corp. He served as an MP stationed down in Panama. back then, the duty issue piece was the 1911A1, which he liked OK, but he's a lefty and wanted a left hand model. He bought the Randall and then got special permission from the base commander to carry it on duty. He proved that it was an exact mirror image of the duty issue piece and he could shoot better with it, so the CO gave his OK. Also, being stainless, it held up much better than bluing in the humidity of Panama.
No, his isn't for sale, and if you can find one, they go for BIG bucks.
However, I did read recently in one of the gun mags that there is someone making lefty 1911's again, but the name escapes me. So they are out there, but don't expect to find one for short money. Good Luck.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #6

I carry a Beretta 9000 compact. safetys/decock both sides. Im right handed and shoot left handed. Can shoot with either hand but left eye dominate, left handed feels more natural. I got mine in a 40s&w. wouldnt trade it for anything. I own 9mms, 380s, and 22s. Bet my life on my 40.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Go to rental ranges and fire everything. Buy whatever fits you best.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:24 AM   #8

Default Walther P99

I like my recently purchased Walther P99

The magazine release is ambi and the decoker easy to operate from either side. Only non-ambi feature is the slide hold open which is on the left side only.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Dlask out of Canada is producing left hand 1911's. Don't know anything about the company I am afraid.

Mile High Armory are producing left hand 1911's quite a bit lately. I've only seen one, it looked like a nice piece, but they are super pricey...

Old 04-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #10

Mile highs run 1500 and up. alot to pay for a gun you ma not like. As stated before, go to the rang and shoot rentals. once youfind the fit and feel by a used one. i recommend a medium cal for a first gun. Something light and cheap. Bersa makes a nice 380 and 9mm. They run about 250 new. I wouldnt use the 380 for a primary; but it makes a good gun for the range or a bug. Check the reviews online for the bersa, they are all good.

Last edited by rufusgooch; 04-08-2008 at 05:57 PM.