Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking for opinions on MPA Mini 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Looking for opinions on MPA Mini 9mm

I'm disabled, I'm responsible, and I'm currently unarmed, sold my P22 and shotgun, and lost my Colt 1903 to a cheating ex.

My question is this: Is the MPA Mini 9mm, side cocking, with rail mount, a decent weapon?

I have been researching, and it seems to be a simple and reliable platform. The 3lb weight should absorb recoil very well, especially when combined with a long fake suppressor. This would allow two hand shooting with a 30 rd payload in a ~4 lb package.

Just wondering if there are any other similar options (weight, capacity, caliber) in the $450 price range?

The recoil of a standard full sized 9mm is a bit more than my wrists and hands can safely support. For this reason I have fallen in love with the idea of a pdw type platform.

I'm thinking this system with a micro red dot mounted on top would be my perfect, "go-to" gun. I live in the suburbs of Sarasota, so admittedly, there is very little need of any firearm whatsoever, but I want to have one if the need should ever arise (think more along the lines of hurricane aftermath, rather than zombie apocalypse.)

I have even considered building a sheet metal chassis over the pistol and fake suppressor, allowing storage of two loaded mags and a non-vertical support grip (no buttstock, not going the SBR route.)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6019 Times on 3296 Posts
Likes Given: 11498

Mac is a reliable platform. Bulky and irregular. But you have to work with your disability. There are AR and AK pistols, uzi and hk clones, but not as cheap.
Ap9 or dc9 are options, though I would prefer the Mac. You might find a used Calico in that price range.
I think you have settled on a good choice.

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 09-01-2013 at 04:27 PM.
The_Jakel Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Thank you

Thank you for the confirmation. Not sure if you've seen the Mini-Macs, the size has been reduced and weight cut in half.

I like the dc-9, ap-9 for it's ergonomics, but agree that the Mac is a superior platform overall.

Thanks for the Calico suggestion, I will look into it.

Last edited by The_Jakel; 09-01-2013 at 04:33 PM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6019 Times on 3296 Posts
Likes Given: 11498

Maybe you can replace the charging handle with a longer one for easier use.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Maybe you can replace the charging handle with a longer one for easier use.
I figured I could, either by clamping something to the existing handle or replacing it. That's the only drawback to blowback design in this case.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #6

Liked 209 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 15

How about a very different idea for a protection pistol with some one with hand strength issues . The keltec PMR-30 31 rounds of 22mag in a pistol that weight in at under 2 lb with 2 loaded mags Price is in the right range . Cheap to shoot. Lite recoil at best and with so many rounds of 40gr at 1400fps it will kill you quickly. A buddy I hunted with for year used a colt 22 mag revolver as a back up when stand hunting during bow season, killed a few hogs with well placed shoot from above when hogs strolled by his stand with eye shots and its a very good gator killer . All ways worked well. Fill it full of 40gr solds and then speer gd's and it would make a great pistol for some with limited hands strength

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/kel-tec-pmr-30-range-report/

Last edited by hardluk1; 09-05-2013 at 07:03 PM.
The_Jakel Likes This 
Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
How about a very different idea for a protection pistol with some one with hand strength issues . The keltec PMR-30 31 rounds of 22mag in a pistol that weight in at under 2 lb with 2 loaded mags Price is in the right range . Cheap to shoot. Lite recoil at best and with so many rounds of 40gr at 1400fps it will kill you quickly. A buddy I hunted with for year used a colt 22 mag revolver as a back up when stand hunting during bow season, killed a few hogs with well placed shoot from above when hogs strolled by his stand with eye shots and its a very good gator killer . All ways worked well.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/kel-tec-pmr-30-range-report/
I want one. Guaranteed not to be Ma approved though. Guess I'll have to wait till I move.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13

I want one. Guaranteed not to be Ma approved though. Guess I'll have to wait till I move.
For what its worth, I want one too.

http://youtu.be/ti9bs-7ES2M

Never happening in Kali though.

Always have clean socks.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #9

Liked 391 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 80

The problem with the Kel-Tec is you would have to be able to actually find one. If you could find one, the going price is higher than MSRP due to rarity.

Wish Kel-Tec would get their act together.

I like the idea of the red dot on the Mac. Haven't taken a close look at the MPA versions, but I remember the Cobray's had the standard Mac sights and they were horrible. Definitely designed for full auto spray and pray, not so great for a semi-auto pistol.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

It would be cool if you could find a similar model in .380acp, like 9mm short.

Too bad these are $600 http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/products/pistols/sa-vz-61-scorpion-in-380-acp/sa-vz-61-scorpion-380-auto/ It looks like it would lend itself to a good two hand grip, and it seems like the charging handle just begs for customization.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 09-05-2013 at 09:36 PM.