Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Looking for a firing range sucks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
it's too bad i bought a new car recently, when i used to drive my ole' Galaxie & had longer hair, people would drive up, see my car & turn around & leave. i must've looked like someone they didn't wanna shoot around, which was fine by me
Maybe you need some more interesting bumper stickers for the new ride?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #12

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

The range I use is an NRA sponsored range & does have several range officers. But, they are also responsible for the upkeep & maintenance so it's not a case of someone standing there looking over your shoulder the whole time you are there. You nevr know when one will pull up & ask to see your membership card. They have safety rules posted everywhere, even to the point of being redundant. You get a rule book when you join & before you can use the range you attend an orientation which goes over the rules & makes sure you understand them.

You may still run into the occasional "idiot" but I've been lucky enough to not have any bad experience there. When the range is relatively crowded, more range officers are on hand & don't do any maintenance or upkeep except for what is essential, such as equipment break-downs. Of course, I hedge my bets by going during the week when I expect it to be less crowded.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
http://wheretoshoot.org/

I was suprised to see a couple in my area. I just go to family & friends land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeekhof
I go to a local place called port city pistol. It's a gun shop/indoor range. No rso, just self patrolled. Everyone there keeps their eyes open and helps out with newbies and safety.

It's been great so far. $50 a year plus $5. Every time you go. No $5 fee for a month if you buy a gun. I just buy one every month to save myself the $50-75 I would be paying in fees. Makes guns seem cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1
the closest outdoor public range is about a 15-20 minute drive but usually when i go, isn't too busy. they have a seperate pistol, shotgun, & rifle range. the rifle range having 15 or so benches & 100 yard & 200 yard backstops. if there's quite a few people there, suprisingly everything runs real smooth & safe, it's when there's only a couple people there it gets a little iffy.

it's too bad i bought a new car recently, when i used to drive my ole' Galaxie & had longer hair, people would drive up, see my car & turn around & leave. i must've looked like someone they didn't wanna shoot around, which was fine by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Maybe you need some more interesting bumper stickers for the new ride?
Thank u all for the intel. It helped

Old 02-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #14

Liked 109 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There are some coocs. At the range stay away from them, they might invite you to a meeting of some secret society LOL. If you shoot indoor make sure it has great ventilation or you'll inhale led and all sorts of other goodies. Wash your hands real good after shooting. Signed, your mom.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #15

Liked 109 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Tell your mom lead should be L E A D

Old 02-18-2012, 04:01 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah wish I could find An outdoor one in Illinois close to Bridgeview area.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:19 AM   #17

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvRbanArms View Post
Yeah wish I could find An outdoor one in Illinois close to Bridgeview area.
The only shooting range I found near Lyons Illinois, Midwest Sporting Goods.
http://find.mapmuse.com/map/shooting-ranges

Also, look at Illinois Public Shooting Ranges & Gun Clubs:
http://www.muck-boy.com/Shooting%20Ranges/Muckboy%20Illinois%20Shooting%20Range%20Page.htm

Last edited by Ranger-6; 02-18-2012 at 04:26 AM.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah I go to that one once in a while. It's 20 dollars to shoot there but it's small and dingy. Sucks. Rinks is a little better just because the price is 9 dollars. But rinks has horrible ventilation.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvRbanArms
Yeah I go to that one once in a while. It's 20 dollars to shoot there but it's small and dingy. Sucks. Rinks is a little better just because the price is 9 dollars. But rinks has horrible ventilation.
See that's my problem, they r expensive and dingy! **** that u know

Old 02-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #20

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Well...I'm fortunate. After years of waiting on a list for a rifle club...I gave up on it and persued a lead on another club which took my son and myself in that day. Dues are $60 a year each. We are on our 4th year, it's outdoors with canopys, shoot just about anytime we like and it's about a 45 mile country drive away. We are quite thankful to find it.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.