Looking for a firing range sucks!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Looking for a firing range sucks!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for a firing range sucks!

I'm new at the whole fire range thing, What should I look for in a firing range?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 406 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A place that lets you shoot. That's it.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #3

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

The first one I used was just by luck when shopping for my first pistol & happened to find it at a gun store that had an inside pistol range. But it was about 45 minutes from home & expensive ($20 per hour). Started asking around & found an outdoor range much closer & cheaper by asking at a local gun store.

The internet may help. I found names & addresses for two, that way, but never got around to checking them out.

As far as what to look for, depends on what kind of shooting you do. Inside ranges are good in regard to weather problems, but would normally be short range & limited to pistols. The outdoor range I go to has 11 ranges, so is not overly crowded & includes pistol, rifle & shotgun ranges. Cost is an annual membership fee with no limit to how often you can go or how long you stay except open hours are from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.

Of course, there are also ranges that promote competitions, such as IDPA. Again, your local gun store or the 'net would be sources to find those.

Last edited by gollygee; 02-12-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #4

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

In the region I live in, we have "public" ranges, usually sponsored by the Game and Fish dept., or the local Sheriff's dept.

These places have an "old west" kind of atmosphere where anything goes. The sign that posts the rules, as well as the bathroom doors and all of the dividing walls and benches have a multitude of bullet holes. On the weekends, the beer for breakfast crew shows up at around 11:00 AM, followed by the thugs from the hood at about 3:00.

The last time I went to one of these ranges, I no more got out of the truck when some yahoo was at the bench screwing around with his rifle, like it had some sorta problem, while pointing the thing at my gut. Rather than shoot the man, I got back in the truck and left all of the fun behind. I now shoot on private property.

Carl Sagan

Old 02-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #5

All the ranges I live by are about 25 mins away but they are either indoor or outdoor and the one that has both is an hour away. So I guess the outdoor one will have to do lol but thanks for the intel.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If it is a range where other people will be shooting while you are, there has got to be some safety rules that folks abide by. That usually means there is a Range Safety Officer on duty, someone totally focused on running the firing line and not shooting him/her self or over playing cards or generally fooling around. Some private club ranges with selective membership can go without an RSO, but those clubs are usually pretty expensive to join.

Designated shooting areas in national forests can be good as often you will have them to your self, but often, when someone else arrives, you'll soon decide it is time to leave.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://wheretoshoot.org/

I was suprised to see a couple in my area. I just go to family & friends land.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1390 Times on 818 Posts
Likes Given: 252

My FIL was complaining that there were no ranges in his area... so I googled, and not only found one, but talked to them on the phone. Great group of people!

I was talked into a local PPC pistol competition, and found a range I never even knew existed.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #9

I go to a local place called port city pistol. It's a gun shop/indoor range. No rso, just self patrolled. Everyone there keeps their eyes open and helps out with newbies and safety.

It's been great so far. $50 a year plus $5. Every time you go. No $5 fee for a month if you buy a gun. I just buy one every month to save myself the $50-75 I would be paying in fees. Makes guns seem cheap.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #10

Liked 446 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 9

the closest outdoor public range is about a 15-20 minute drive but usually when i go, isn't too busy. they have a seperate pistol, shotgun, & rifle range. the rifle range having 15 or so benches & 100 yard & 200 yard backstops. if there's quite a few people there, suprisingly everything runs real smooth & safe, it's when there's only a couple people there it gets a little iffy.

it's too bad i bought a new car recently, when i used to drive my ole' Galaxie & had longer hair, people would drive up, see my car & turn around & leave. i must've looked like someone they didn't wanna shoot around, which was fine by me