looking for a carry pistol. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > looking for a carry pistol.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 04:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2440 View Post
Hey, you think I could conceal the Glock 19? I currently own a Beretta px4 storm and I feel that when I try to conceal it (not going out, but to get a feel for how this size gun would fit and be visible if I were to carry it) I find it hard to conceal such a gun that size. especially in the summer. its just quite visible. maybe because it is sort of thick? I notice that the g19 is less than an inch shorter than the px4 storm. I mean I guess I can get a feel for that gun and try it out. I never thought of the g19, I guess I was thinking real small right away (sub compact). thanks for the advice!

Well, let's see? This is an interesting question; AND, there are variables. It's entirely possible that - depending upon your body and build - a certain pistol might, indeed, be too big or bulky for you to conceal.

What I'm able to easily conceal, and what a smaller individual is able to conceal can be two different things. Still, there are adjustments that can be made! You and I have similar physiques. Know what? I conceal a large Glock Model 21 and an extra magazine underneath my jacket or un:bloused cover shirt while I'm at, either, church or temple! (My family is of mixed faith.)

One thing that makes a big difference is that I know how to move while carrying a large pistol. For instance, this past Friday night the Rabbi came up to me and hugged me on two separate occasions. (He doesn't know that I'm one of these people who are always armed; and, although I don't think he'd really mind, I prefer that he not find out. Now, our Baptist Minister? I'm not so sure about him. I could be wrong; but, his wife reads like a, 'soccer mom'.)

This past Friday night when I was hugged - and by an individual who is significantly shorter and consequently in a very good position to discover my pistol - I made absolutely certain that as the Rabbi extended his arms I returned the gesture by holding my own outstretched arms directly beneath his - That way I could lift his hands up and away from my sides! (Worked like a charm!)

I never reach for anything with my gun hand because that's going to pull my cover garment into my side and might pattern the gun's butt. I never bend with my support side knee, either. I will, also, habitually 3/4 anyone who is either walking up to or studying me too closely. (You know, like a beautiful woman!)

Whenever I do this my gun side is always withdrawn to the rear and away from the approaching observer. (In the same way that a police officer who is conducting a street interview will, 'blade' an interviewee.) I'm, also, acutely aware of anyone who might begin to stand behind me.

Among those things which can help you to conceal a large pistol (Something I, definitely, do NOT consider a G-19 to be.) are (1) a good strong gun belt and (2) an appropriate holster. Most of my EDC holsters are ITB/IWB designs; however, one of my favorite carry holsters; and the one that I'll often wear to services is a Wm. Tucker, 'HF-1'.

The, ‘HF-1’, in particular, pulls a pistol's butt very tightly into my side. The only thing I don’t like about it is that it’s heavily (and beautifully) made out of a thick hide and, consequently, a lot slower to draw from than the very slippery Kydex polymer that my other holsters are made out of. (This is particularly important to me because my Glock is usually in C-3; so the speed and ease of the draw is paramount!)

If you want to truly hide a pistol then you've absolutely got to have a decent gun belt, too. I know of two principal leather makers; and I own 3 of their belts. One is a Wm. Tucker – It’s a strong, non-sagging (and very beautiful) hand-tooled gun belt. If I’d fault this beautiful gun belt for anything, well, it looks like a gun belt! The other is a BeltMan polymer reinforced bullhide gun belt. Looks, for all the world, like an expensive dress belt and carries a heavy pistol quite well.

In all fairness there’s two other high quality custom leather makers I should mention: My shooting buddies use a lot of these holsters and belts; and, they’re very satisfied: Kramer Handgun Leather, and Bulman Gunleather. I, particularly like Kramer’s #3 ITB holster; and, if I ever need another gun belt I’m sure Bulman would be fine.

Now, to wrap this up, Yes, I KNOW that with the right habits and movements you could easily hide a G-19. I, also, believe that you’ll find the G-19 to be a much stronger pistol that’s easier to operate and maintain than what you’re presently using. If 9mm were my EDC cartridge of choice, a Glock Model 19 would be on my belt. In fact a G-19 is one of the few pistols I don’t own; but, that I would very much like to.

Last edited by G21.45; 09-13-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Old 09-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #12

I have a Glock 26 and XDSC9, i like both the same but the G26 gets the nod for CCW because it is lighter, both are great but i have had a hard time finding holsters for the XDSC that "I" like, all for the G26 work and conceal great for me.

"In God We Trust"

Old 09-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I often carry a M&P 9c in a Blade Tech IWB in. It disappears under a loose tee shirt worn over shorts or jeans.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.